Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine temp question 2.6  (Read 828 times)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
Engine temp question 2.6
« on: 22 February 2011, 13:18:24 »

Ever since I have had the Omega the engine temperature has been a worry. In normal driving the temp gauge sits just below the half way mark, 85 I think it is. However once I get stuck in heavy traffic the gauge goes up to nearly 100 before the fans kick in and brings it back down to temperature where the whole thing starts again until normal running again. I had the thermostat replaced when the cambelt was done also had the coolant flushed and refilled and it still does it. My Mitsubishi the gauge never moves from the half way mark whether in traffic winter or summer. Is this normal on the Omega for the engine to get so hot before the fans kick in?

Thanks in advance.

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Engine temp question 2.6
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2011, 14:25:04 »

In short, YES! :D :D :D ;)

Very usual for our V6's to run very hot and push out a lot of heat.  Quite normal :y :y
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 14:25:51 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 14:40:01 »

You might find the first stage of the cooling fans is not kicking in if it's getting close to 100. Mine seems to start the first stage of fans at between  90 and 95 where the fans run at slow speed. If it continues to increase the fans run at full speed at around 100.

Then again, gauge indications are not that reliable and it's clearly not overheating.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 17:48:47 »

Very usual for our V6's to run very hot and push out a lot of heat.  Quite normal :y :y

A bit misleading there Lizzie  ;). An Omega's engine temp should be no different from A N Other engine. Mine doesn't shoot up to 100oC even with the caravan in traffic.  ;)

I agree with Kevin.  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 17:58:55 »

A bit misleading there Lizzie  ;). An Omega's engine temp should be no different from A N Other engine. Mine doesn't shoot up to 100oC even with the caravan in traffic.  ;)

I know what you mean Andy, but when really using a V6 to full potential and using the rev range on a good spurt of long term power output then it does push out more heat than I have known in smaller, 1.8 or 2.0 litre units.

I did a run the other day when the outside temp was hovering around 5 degrees but in 15 minutes, when normally it takes 25 minutes to travel the distance I did, using heavy amounts of kick down and high revs, and my temp went from the 'normal' running one of 85ish to 95ish.  Does it not make sense that the bigger the engine, with more energy use and output the heat radiating around the engine bay is going to be a lot higher than a 1.0 litre?

Yes the thermostate will regulate the engines running temp at a certain level, on miggies anything between 80 - 100, but the actual power output is much higher. That is why there are two large fans to control the heat, instead of the tiny 'propellors' bolted to the front of most engines in yesterday  year.  As noted after a 'hard' run when you can get heatstroke when getting out of the driving seat and the air around the car is hot! :D :D :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 18:03:34 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 18:02:13 »

I know what you mean Andy, but when really using a V6 to full potential and using the rev range on a good spurt of long term power output then it does push out more heat than I have known in smaller, 1.8 or 2.0 litre units.

I did a run the other day when the outside temp was hovering around 5 degrees in 15 minutes, when normally it takes 25 minutes using heavy amounts of kick down and high revs, and my temp went from the 'normal' running one of 85ish to 95ish.  Does it not make sense that the bigger the engine, with more energy use and output the heat radiating around the engine bay is going to be a lot higher than a 1.0 litre?

Yes the thermostate will regulate the engines running temp at a certain level, on miggies anything between 80 - 100, but the actual power output is much higher.  As noted after a 'hard' run when you can get heatstroke when getting out of the driving seat and the air around the car is hot! :D :D :D :D ;)

I agree that the air coming from under the car from the high speed fans after a run be hot, but the temp gauge shouldn't be going to 100o in the UK winter/spring. High speed fans should easily cope.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 19:43:53 »

Surely the fact that we are only doing just over 20MPG on a v6 means that a very high amount of heat is being produced by the burning of that fuel.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2011, 19:48:34 »

Surely the fact that we are only doing just over 20MPG on a v6 means that a very high amount of heat is being produced by the burning of that fuel.

but the fans when running at full chat (not half speed) should easily be able to cope.  ;)

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2011, 20:50:02 »

Thanks for the replys as far as I can see the fans are either on or off. When on the temp goes back down to normal rapidly. I will get them checked at the next service next month.

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 20:52:18 »

A water leak can cause this - I had it reading overheating due to a wet sensor.

New T piece fixed it (LPG)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2011, 20:54:17 »

Thanks for the replys as far as I can see the fans are either on or off. When on the temp goes back down to normal rapidly. I will get them checked at the next service next month.

have a look at the fuses in the fuse/relay box under the bonnet, there's a schematic of the layout somewhere. I'd be surprised if the service mech will be any the wiser.
PS Why are you paying for a service when al the info ..... & more is available here?  ;) ;) ::) ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.