Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Re-mapping an omega 2.5td damage it?  (Read 815 times)

crossy

• Ireland
    • View Profile
Will Re-mapping an omega 2.5td damage it?
« on: 10 March 2011, 18:07:05 »

Thinking of re mapping my car up too 170bhp but some people are telling me its a bad idea as I will blow the turbo and sensors will start going. Maybe its not a good idea when the car has 210,000 miles on it?
 :question
can anyone help?
Drive her straight sideways

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Will Re-mapping an omega 2.5td damage it?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2011, 18:14:30 »

Quiet a few on here have done a re chip, no good for the standard Auto Box, Manuals ok.

Chris.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2011, 18:15:14 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2011, 19:30:45 »

With a known good map, 160ish bhp doesn't appear to cause any long term issues.
Grumpy old man

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 21:40:36 »

Thinking of re mapping my car up too 170bhp but some people are telling me its a bad idea as I will blow the turbo and sensors will start going. Maybe its not a good idea when the car has 210,000 miles on it?
 :question
can anyone help?
It's just about 'run in' if it's had regular 4,000 mile oil & filter change.   ;D :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2011, 22:00:05 »

as long as its a manual will be fine, it was de-tuned for Vauxhall so chipping just brings it back to BMW spec.

If an auto, it will need a box upgrade to the stronger AR-35  :y

crossy

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2011, 20:16:13 »

Its a manual. With a full service and a new clutch . some are telling me its bad and some say its not bad
Drive her straight sideways

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2011, 20:34:29 »

I get my car live mapped every year at MSD in Blackpool. They looked after my sierra Cosworth for years. Swear by Stu and his boys. Mines only a 3.2, but it keeps in running spot on with correct fueling and set up.  :y  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2011, 20:36:14 »

I get my car live mapped every year at MSD in Blackpool. They looked after my sierra Cosworth for years. Swear by Stu and his boys. Mines only a 3.2, but it keeps in running spot on with correct fueling and set up.  :y  :y

But thats not a TD!

o-meg-a

• south wales
  • avatar disabled meantime as its mahoosive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2011, 20:51:00 »

Mines mapped with the +10 chip, tis a bit smoky on full poke, but the power increase and torque throughout the rev range is addictive.

My personal experience of chipping TD's, more so on other cars,
Is that more fuel is not a problem, and then ideally, with more fuel comes more air.

On other cars i have done this by increasing air flow (sports air filters, decats, etc) but also more crucially by turning up the turbo just a couple of PSI. Nothing too much, just enough to make use of the extra fuel to create more overall power.

That fuel which is not burnt up by the engine is sent through the exhaust and comes out as black smoke. This is not a dangerous sign, it just means that when the throttle is fully down, more fuel than necessary is being pushed through the system. In essence the system is running rich (in petrol terms), but Diesels are designed to run rich naturally.

Even an untuned td will give off some smoke, hence why diesels are always black on the back if left without being cleaned for a while.

The only issue i have found on other cars (not the Omega to any real extent), is that on a heavy overfuelling map, that excess unburned fuel can cause excessive exhaust temperatures which can possibly be a danger to the engine.
My Rover would heat up more than i should (reflected in the coolant temp) when i was driving very hard.

As yet, the Omega only rises around 1 degree extra over stock temp, and i imagine that is down to not only me driving it faster than usual, but also a slight overfuel.

I have no experience of the +5 chip, but I think i am right in saying that it is only bringing it back to just over the original BMW spec of the engine and therefore cannot really be considered "tuning" as such, more a case of a returning the engine to its designed power.

And if you do not know why, as mentioned in other posts, this DE-tune was done by vauxhall for what must have been issues to do with their original Auto boxes. And despite subsequent revisions to the box, and of course the manual being available, they did not offer different power specs.

Vauxhall definitely did not do it for economy reasons either, as the standard MPG of the Omega is lower than that of a standard BMW.

.......I may have blabbed for a while there, sorry if i have monumentally wasted moments of your life lol :D
« Last Edit: 11 March 2011, 20:51:46 by o-meg-a »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.