Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do i do......  (Read 756 times)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
what do i do......
« on: 29 January 2008, 09:05:07 »

i have been deliberating this decision for a while now and i'm really not sure which route to go down....

i have had the Elite now for coming on 2 years, in that time i have done 60,000 miles, she is currently sat at 151,000 miles.
The drivers seat is coning unstiched, the heater pad doesn't work, the front bumper needs realigning (new carrier actually) and repainting, the stereo is on its last legs and it needs some paintwork, the cambelt needs doing in 20,000 miles (4 months) and the MOT is due in 3 months, the rocker covers need doing again as it has a oil leak on the LH bank.

I am still chatting to the salvage guys about that MV6, they are heading in my direction price wise, now that will be a nearly new car when finished, 18,000 miles and would be fitted with a gas kit.

the MV6 would be a few weeks before it was on the road and would cost close to 2K to finish.

if i was to get the work done on the elite it would take a couple of weeks and would cost about 5-700 to get it up together

the elite is 1000% reliable, and currently she is racking up 600/750 miles a week.

So if you were in my shoes what would you do?

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
Re: what do i do......
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2008, 09:29:33 »

Get drunk and think about  ::)
Growing old disgracefully...

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2008, 09:30:46 »

Get drunk and think about  ::)

lost count how many times i have done that

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2008, 09:35:22 »

Depends if you fancy a change or are happy with your car. The faults you list on your car are all fairly superficial. As long as it isn't generally "worn out" I'm sure it'll plod along for a while yet. On the other hand, if you decide a year down the line to change, there won't be as many nice Omegas about.  :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2008, 09:37:19 »

I would do the Elite up personally - and treat yourself with the change left over - the one thing I hate about buying a car and having to do lots of miles is the unknown reliability factor, it always takes a couple of thousand miles till I don't think about it.  But either way they're both good cars, regardless of mileage.

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2008, 09:44:02 »

Better the devil you know ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2008, 09:54:12 »

i have been deliberating this decision for a while now and i'm really not sure which route to go down....

i have had the Elite now for coming on 2 years, in that time i have done 60,000 miles, she is currently sat at 151,000 miles.
The drivers seat is coning unstiched, the heater pad doesn't work, the front bumper needs realigning (new carrier actually) and repainting, the stereo is on its last legs and it needs some paintwork, the cambelt needs doing in 20,000 miles (4 months) and the MOT is due in 3 months, the rocker covers need doing again as it has a oil leak on the LH bank.

I am still chatting to the salvage guys about that MV6, they are heading in my direction price wise, now that will be a nearly new car when finished, 18,000 miles and would be fitted with a gas kit.

the MV6 would be a few weeks before it was on the road and would cost close to 2K to finish.

if i was to get the work done on the elite it would take a couple of weeks and would cost about 5-700 to get it up together

the elite is 1000% reliable, and currently she is racking up 600/750 miles a week.

So if you were in my shoes what would you do?

Buy the new one and keep the old as it is  :D :y
« Last Edit: 29 January 2008, 09:54:41 by cem_devecioglu »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2008, 15:40:05 »

Do the MV6 up in slow time... that way you have less pressure. Do the major stuff to the Elite and continue to use while you do the MV6 .. Sell the Elite once the MV6 is "proven". By doing the major work you will ensure the Elite keeps going .. get more when you sell it ...

Easy for me to say ..... :)

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2008, 15:41:38 »

Do the MV6 up in slow time... that way you have less pressure. Do the major stuff to the Elite and continue to use while you do the MV6 .. Sell the Elite once the MV6 is "proven". By doing the major work you will ensure the Elite keeps going .. get more when you sell it ...

Easy for me to say ..... :)
Makes sense, only if you have the money/space and time ;)
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2008, 15:42:21 »

Depends if you fancy a change or are happy with your car. The faults you list on your car are all fairly superficial. As long as it isn't generally "worn out" I'm sure it'll plod along for a while yet. On the other hand, if you decide a year down the line to change, there won't be as many nice Omegas about.  :-/

Kevin

You're a big help  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.