Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambelt fitting in kent??  (Read 811 times)

dstocks

• View Profile
cambelt fitting in kent??
« on: 30 August 2011, 21:16:07 »

hi everyone does anyone know of anyone who does mobile mechanics in the kent area?? i have recently bought a 3.2 elite and fitted an oil cooler using the guide on here without any issues but thats about the limit of my mechanical skill lol i keep looking at the cambelt and thinking...should i have a go? but the cost of a mistake would be dire so i will leave it too an expert i think, i have a kit and waterpump just need someone with knowledge and ability the car has done 109k and looking through the history had a brand new engine at 62k but no record of having a cambelt beforehand so asked the previous owner why the new engine his reply was the cambelt snapped and destroyed the engine he was told that cambelt changes were due at 80k where i thought it was 40k so the car has done 47k since the engine and has not had a belt in that time so i believe i am living on borrowed time and have parked the car at my work in folkestone where it will stay until i can get the belt done, sorry about the essay here but does anyone fancy earning a few quid and doing this for me(or know of a good mobile mechanic) i have tea biscuits and whatever else you want and obviously i will pay whatever you require lol
any help would be much appreciated   

GaryBC

• Intermediate Member
  • Egham, Surrey
    • View Profile
Re: cambelt fitting in kent??
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2011, 09:56:36 »

I had the same problem - living in the south east we're some way from everyone else!

I had to travel to Gloucester to get a guy here to do mine. He did a cracking job and seemed to really know his onions! (He spotted that all my vac pipes were plumbed in wrong and re-did them all at the same time.)

I'm loathe to just give you his contact details without checking with him first. But if you fancy a shlep to the Cotswolds I'll see if he's interested.

PM me if you want me to ask him.

Incidentally, mine was at a similar mileage to yours when it was changed. Although it had been rubbing and one edge was badly scuffed, the belt itself and all the rollers were in pretty good condition. I don't think it was close to failing.

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2011, 10:03:55 »

Once it goes past 40,000/ 4years its russian roullette tbh.
You have done the wise thing by parking it up. :y
There is an excellent DVD available from the forum which guides you through the cambelt change ,step by step. I have used it myself and found it invaluable, as although I had done a few cambelts on 4 cylinder engines, I was a bit daunted by tackling the V6.
You would still need to buy or borrow (possibly from another member) the locking/setting kit, as the job cant be done without it. :y

GaryBC

• Intermediate Member
  • Egham, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2011, 10:13:40 »

You're right about the Russian Roulette bit! Although I reasoned that, when Vx down-rated the belt from 80k to 40k they were probably erring well on the safe side to avoid further massive warranty claims! I wasn't overly uncomfortable going a few thou over the 40k myself.

When I watched the guy do mine the belt change itself does look pretty straightforward but it's all the strip out and refit that would have thrown me! It took him slightly less then two hours but I reckon that, carefully following a step by step guide as a novice, would probably take twice that.

And yes, a locking kit is a must!!

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2011, 11:05:51 »

I did my first ever cambelt 2 weeks ago.

Although the job appears daunting, once you get stuck in it is pretty straightforward.

I would say:

Get and watch the DVD, I had mine on the laptop whilst I did the job for reference.

You must have the locking kit.

It took me about 4 hrs, being very careful and checking every step.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2011, 11:06:47 by Figureman52 »

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2011, 11:36:04 »

PM sent.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2011, 11:43:07 »

I have a locking kit that you are welcome to borrow.
It's not a difficult job, and the DVD explains the process well. I keep my copy with the kit.
I'm in Chatham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.