Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change battery??  (Read 629 times)

smithpa7

How to change battery??
« on: 19 September 2011, 15:17:02 »

Hi All, After having a few battery issues, I followed Kevin Wood's excellent guide for battery and alternator testing :y :y
I am now sure my battery is on its last legs. It has been on the car for at least 5 years!!
I know there is a guide somewhere on how to change the battery without setting alarms off, losing radio codes and losing default window and sunroof settings, however I am unable to find it :'( :'(
Can anyone please point me in the right direction :) :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: How to change battery??
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2011, 15:35:08 »

Hi All, After having a few battery issues, I followed Kevin Wood's excellent guide for battery and alternator testing :y :y
I am now sure my battery is on its last legs. It has been on the car for at least 5 years!!
I know there is a guide somewhere on how to change the battery without setting alarms off, losing radio codes and losing default window and sunroof settings, however I am unable to find it :'( :'(

The battery needs disconnecting within 15secs of the ignition being turned off. If you slacken the negative first, then turn the ignition on then off, then whip the lead of the terminal. No way of retaining codes though, and windows & roof will need resetting afterwards. Hold the window up switch till you hear a click, roof is reset by holding the switch in at all main positions till all movement stops.  :y :y
« Last Edit: 19 September 2011, 16:10:09 by Andy_B »

smithpa7

« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2011, 15:56:37 »

Brilliant, thanks Andy B. When I return from London to the lovely Newcastle on Saturday I will change the battery :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2011, 18:23:09 »

and feel free to write a guide Zombie - sure others will find it useful :y
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2011, 18:28:53 »

This CAN be done, Very Very Carefully, using a starter boost pack or a spare battery and jump leads. All you have to do is supply 12volts in parrallel to the existing battery while you remove it and replace it. The system "thinks" the battery remains connecetd at all times.

I've done a few times, on different cars, for folks who have lost/not got pass cards etc etc ... not difficult but CARE IS REQUIRED or it can get very messy !!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2011, 18:33:36 »

This CAN be done, Very Very Carefully, using a starter boost pack or a spare battery and jump leads. All you have to do is supply 12volts in parrallel to the existing battery while you remove it and replace it. The system "thinks" the battery remains connecetd at all times.

I've done a few times, on different cars, for folks who have lost/not got pass cards etc etc ... not difficult but CARE IS REQUIRED or it can get very messy !!!!

There are 'power packs' that plug into the ciggy lighter to retain radio memories etc Obviously won't work on an Omega or other Vauxhalls as the ciggy lighters are ignition live.  :y

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2011, 18:40:50 »

I've done this a few times too, but like you have said... one slip and it could all go wrong!   :-X
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

smithpa7

« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2011, 19:12:19 »

and feel free to write a guide Zombie - sure others will find it useful :y

Good idea, I will. :y :y

smithpa7

« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2011, 19:14:36 »

I understand the risks. I used to install bus bars in the BT exchanges, many moons ago. I have melted the odd spanner  :o :o :o
I might do this, thanks for the advice. :y :y

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2011, 19:22:20 »

A motorbike battery comes in handy for this job.connect it to your leads before disconnection - jobs a goodun. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2011, 19:44:54 »

I understand the risks. I used to install bus bars in the BT exchanges, many moons ago. I have melted the odd spanner  :o :o :o
I might do this, thanks for the advice. :y :y
Car battery can't manage the current carried on Strowger busbars...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.