Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facelift door speaker adaptors  (Read 1550 times)

Martin_1962

Facelift door speaker adaptors
« on: 06 October 2007, 17:47:56 »

TO save money and time I am asking before doing. I have a pair I used on the blue 1997 CD 2.0 which were parallel, someone here used different slanted ones, do I need to change them?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Facelift door speaker adaptors
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2007, 20:33:17 »

Don't suppose you discovered an answer to this by any chance, Martin?

I have some speakers which I'm trying (and, currently, failing >:() to fit with a kit the local car audio shop (who do know their stuff) assured me would do the job.

The adaptors I have are vectra ones, parallel rather than slanted, and the original speaker is slanted. Makes me think I need the slanted ones but no-one seems to list one for the facelift and I'm also sceptical about clearance with the window in that case. I heard a rumour that Corsa 165mm adaptors will fit...?

Just wondering if there is an adaptor that'll work off the shelf before I start hacking things about and fabricating something?

It does seem extremely tight on clearance around the speaker and between window and speaker. Speakers are 165mm Rainbow ones.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2007, 10:35:00 »

Well, I've been having all sorts of fun and games changing my door speakers over the past couple of weeks, and I've now got one side finished, so I thought I'd share what I did. I will maybe take some photos and do a guide when I tackle the other door. I was too busy swearing at this one to take any pictures!

Firstly, make sure it's going to be worthwhile because it's a real pain! I started this job because I thought my speakers were knackered - turns out they weren't and there was an intermittent problem in the active crossover in my amp that was making them crackle and pop! Had I known that, and how much work was involved, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The Vectra adaptors were never going to fit as they are not slanted and protrude too far at the top of the speaker. I ended up getting a set of Corsa B adaptors for 165mm speakers from These guys: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KSH-AUDIO-LTD. I found that the locating lug at the bottom of the speaker adaptor had to be removed for the mounting holes to line up in the Omega. In addition, I had to cut out a spacer ring out of 6mm MDF to go between the adaptor and speaker for the speaker to clear the door panel and window glass.

Choose your speakers very carefully if you tread this path, as a slightly larger speaker would not have fitted at all!

I also had to remove a bit of material from the inner of the door trim panel around the speaker. Dremel is your friend here!

The crossover was a pain to mount. It's difficult to find anywhere in the door cavity to mount it without fouling the window mechanism. In the end I found a void in the trim panel in the armrest area that's just filled with polystyrene. Using a hot wire I cut the polystyrene to make a cavity of the same size and shape as the crossover module. I fed the speaker feed to the crossover from the factory tweeter connection by re-routing and extending this through the cavity under the electric window switch (tweeter and woofer connections on the factory loom are the same). Cables to the tweeter and woofer were routed the same way back to the drive units.

The new tweeters were mounted by taking them out of their surface mounting cases, and aralditing them into the protective grilles from the old tweeters after modifying the grilles considerably with a dremel. Result is a pair of tweeters that snap into the recess on the door handle trim panel just like the originals, and hide behind the little grille nicely.

Well, one of my doors now sounds much better than the other, so I suspect it has been worthwhile, and now I know what I need to do I hope the other door won't be such a  pain.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2007, 18:19:43 »

Corsa adaptors then - possible spacer to make.

Armrest is a good idea

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2007, 23:44:32 »

Yep. Should be OK, Martin. I've got the other door to do so I'll try to document that a bit better.

Looking at it, the guy does ready-made MDF spacers as well - but only 9/12/18 mm. Not sure 9mm would be thin enough :-/

Have you got speakers already? If you want to run the dimensions past me I'll compare them to mine.

Kevin

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2007, 12:25:50 »

I'll measure them later - Infinity 605CS

I may even have some spacers somewhere

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2007, 17:02:24 »

Ahh, OK. I've got some 6500cs here and if they're anything to go by they'll be fine. Pretty much exactly the same dimensions as the units I fitted.

Kevin

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2007, 12:51:19 »

Bought some yesterday, felt embarrassed as it said Corsa on them.

I explained that it was for an Omega but it doesn't list them!!!!

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2007, 14:30:55 »

Bought some yesterday, felt embarrassed as it said Corsa on them.

Should have gone in disguise... baseball cap at a ridiculous angle, they'd not have questioned you...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2007, 15:00:30 »

That's why I bought them on EBay - using SWMBO's paypal account ;D

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.