Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TV tuners  (Read 1961 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: TV tuners
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2008, 18:24:52 »

I guess many of the advances to make mobile DVB happen will be in the receivers, making them more powerful and more selective at the electronic level, given that other factors are reasonably static (if the fat idiot in No 10 sells off the bandwidth when analogue goes, will there be much scope for boosting transmitter power?)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2008, 19:34:54 »

I guess many of the advances to make mobile DVB happen will be in the receivers, making them more powerful and more selective at the electronic level, given that other factors are reasonably static (if the fat thingy in No 10 sells off the bandwidth when analogue goes, will there be much scope for boosting transmitter power?)

The problem is, DVB-T was designed for a large number of channels at a relatively high bit rate (so the picture doesn't look offensive on a ruddy great TV) but with the data not coded very robustly due to the relatively static nature of most receiving stations and the ability to put up high gain antennae.

The demands of a mobile setup are for a low bit rate (screen is going to be small - so no point in high quality), more robustly coded signal so better error correction and equalisation can be applied by the receiver and it can cope with the multipath you can get on the move.

Whereas with FM radio later innovations like RDS allowed it to be useable in a mobile environment the requirements are so conflicting with DVB-T it seems less likely. However, when FM Stereo was first launched you'd probably have been branded a madman for suggesting listening to stereo radio broadcasts in a car. Where would you put all the valves, for a start? ;D So who knows?

There are also technologies like HSDPA and LTE which, if they got cheap enough, might allow mobile streaming of video over IP to mobile users.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2008, 19:54:15 »

I guess many of the advances to make mobile DVB happen will be in the receivers, making them more powerful and more selective at the electronic level, given that other factors are reasonably static (if the fat thingy in No 10 sells off the bandwidth when analogue goes, will there be much scope for boosting transmitter power?)

The problem is, DVB-T was designed for a large number of channels at a relatively high bit rate (so the picture doesn't look offensive on a ruddy great TV) but with the data not coded very robustly due to the relatively static nature of most receiving stations and the ability to put up high gain antennae.

The demands of a mobile setup are for a low bit rate (screen is going to be small - so no point in high quality), more robustly coded signal so better error correction and equalisation can be applied by the receiver and it can cope with the multipath you can get on the move.

Whereas with FM radio later innovations like RDS allowed it to be useable in a mobile environment the requirements are so conflicting with DVB-T it seems less likely. However, when FM Stereo was first launched you'd probably have been branded a madman for suggesting listening to stereo radio broadcasts in a car. Where would you put all the valves, for a start? ;D So who knows?

There are also technologies like HSDPA and LTE which, if they got cheap enough, might allow mobile streaming of video over IP to mobile users.

Kevin

I remember how long it took for RDS to catch on, and how expensive it was in its day. There is no doubt that it will happen, and will probably happen faster nowadays with many technological breakthroughs that are now possible and there is a definate demand for it -

what worries me though is not the technology, but its the Format wars that will undoubtedly break out over different manufacturers which could prove costly for those wanting to purchase equipment now - we all remember the VHS and Betamax wars, well it happened again recently didn`t it between HDDVD and Blueray ? -

:'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2008, 08:54:35 »

Mobile streaming is the only existing practical method for digital broadcasts to the car.

Trouble is that the current digital setup is based around as lower power transmitted signal as possible and there is not much scope for improving the receivers much beyond what they achieve today.

I cant see them ever winding the power up following the analogue switch off.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2008, 00:35:30 »

am i right in thinking the mobile(phone) tv band width wont be available until 2010? when the band width re shuffle is finished. Dont see any point worrying about it until thats available, presuming the car makers will make use of it?

Nokia(yes, gay, i know) have a hand set or 2 with it featured for other markets, i might be able to afford ,and have the kids to justify, the cid conversion  by then.

I dont suppose a  better/cheaper way has come to light to convert the cid to work with a nokia tv out?
Oof on the cid, maybe one day.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.