Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new speakers  (Read 2796 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: new speakers
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2009, 08:03:48 »

sorry Dave i don't agree
lets say  we have a 50w amp and 100w speakers  running the amp hard its going to clip and  send square waves to the speakers

square waves = speaker death

Ah, but you are falling into the age old trap - you will NOT be running the amp flat out at 50W and you will NOT be running the speakers flat out at 100W.  Whilst I agree about clipping and square waves completely, you are believing that the figures are going to be achieved.

This is a real bugbear of my industry. Figures quoted for amplifiers are generally more realistic, so if your unit says 50W RMS then realistically you are goint to get no more than about 35W of decent sound from it (thats still incredibly loud and will rattle the car) but over that it will clip and distort and send some nasty signals to the seakers long before it goes bang at 50W.

Now lets look at the speakers. Again, Assuming that they are 100W RMS (forget the max power ratings - To actually achieve that would burn the speaker out within seconds. So as we are virtually always running the speaker in an environment that it was not intended for (Checked the volumetric litreage of the door have we?) its safe to assume that the speaker may burn out long before this.

As the amplifier is generally going to be cranked up beyond the levels it should (most will set the gain and levels incorrectly believing its a volume control) the chances of sending the square waves to the speakers has now increased. By going for a higher rated speaker, you have now introduced a "buffer" where the speaker can actually take the abuse of these square waves, not to say its not going to sound awful, but its not going to instantly destroy the speaker.

my advice would be to buy a efficient speaker  and a good quality amp that  puts out clean power and not some  mitsuspratzan no name brand amp

Agree entirely, but you are fogetting something here. If you are knowledgeable enough to understand power ratings etc, the gap between speaker and amp power ratings can be reduced, and if going for a ultra high quality system, with very expensive item, you could even achieve a near like for like ratio, but if you are answering a wider general question to somebody that does not know and understand, and will probably mix and match brands, then it is far safer to introduce a tolerance level. As far as efficiency ratings - we can`t get people to understand power ratings yet - most will know the wattage of their equipment, but I bet less than a handfull could quote the efficiency figures! - one step at a time.

I have always found the alpine v12 range to be great at the price

Agreed, I like Alpine, Seldom seen in our repair centre because it just doesn`t go wrong, but then good equipment always commands a higher price. You get what you pay for, and if someone sees a flashy amp with 1 million watt power rating on it for 50p and an Alpine amp with 200W for £300 you know which one is going to outsell the other. Most people will have wasted their money on several nasty amps before appreciating that they should have spent more on a good one in the first place.

Sticking to good quality and well known brands is important, sticking with the same brands can generally give better results (as the equipment was designed to work with each other) and above all else, make sure it is set up and calibrated correctly. Gain controls need to be set properly.

As I said on my original post, everyone is going to have a different opinion, which is good, and this is what we have come to believe after 17 years of retailing amps and speakers.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

evvo1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2009, 06:12:19 »

Yes you'll need the adapters for the speakers.
How much did you pay for the ones you got?I was thinking about the same ones but never heard them in action.
And actually the speakers don't need to be at least double the power of the amp.
Minimum recomendation was actually 30% more than the amplifier, but of course little more than this is preffered. Don't be mistaken we are talking about RMS power not that marketing crap called maximum power which is in fact just usseles marketing trick.
89 quid BNIB Mat. ...How did I do?

Goonybird

• Northampton
  • Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2009, 08:11:03 »

Yep agree with that. A lower power amp is more likely to damage the speakers due to overdrive/clipping distortion.

The big problem here is ther is no standard way of stating specifications on amps and speakers.
This is an old Hi-fi problem that goes back for years.
Wattage is considered the benchmark. However there are too many variables. eg RMS, Peak power, then whether the watts are both channels driven, or one channel, Qualified by which resistance (ohms) and over what frequency range.

Then you have speaker sensitivity (mentioned from DaveDND)
So a 50W RMS speaker with 91dB will be about twice as loud as a 50W RMS speaker with 88dB (a 3dB increase - decibels- repesents a doubling of loudness)
Generally the lower the decibal the better quality sound.

So, you can have your "Thousand watt" Killer 4 channel amp. But if that is into 2 ohms, one channel driven, at 1 Khz then in reality you are looking at an Amplifier that is probably 20W RMS per channel.

Its all a scam.

Try to look at quality equipment that rates RMS etc.

Personally Thousand watts off a car supply doesn't add up. Thats equivalent to 1 bar on yer electric fire.

My Home amplifier is 170W RMS into 6 ohms across 7 channels and even that drops with all channels driven. But crucially the thing weighs in at 30Kg.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2009, 08:15:35 by goonybird »
Have owned: Opel Manta A 1900 Auto Berlinetta, Opel Manta B 2.0 Auto Berlinetta, Vx Royale Coupe 2.8 Auto, various non Vx, Skoda Superb 130tdi currently Omega 2.5CDX - now Octavia vRS WRC

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2009, 08:28:18 »

Yep agree with that. A lower power amp is more likely to damage the speakers due to overdrive/clipping distortion.

The big problem here is ther is no standard way of stating specifications on amps and speakers.
This is an old Hi-fi problem that goes back for years.

Wattage is considered the benchmark. However there are too many variables. eg RMS, Peak power, then whether the watts are both channels driven, or one channel, Qualified by which resistance (ohms) and over what frequency range.

Then you have speaker sensitivity (mentioned from DaveDND)
So a 50W RMS speaker with 91dB will be about twice as loud as a 50W RMS speaker with 88dB (a 3dB increase - decibels- repesents a doubling of loudness)
Generally the lower the decibal the better quality sound.

So, you can have your "Thousand watt" Killer 4 channel amp. But if that is into 2 ohms, one channel driven, at 1 Khz then in reality you are looking at an Amplifier that is probably 20W RMS per channel.

Its all a scam.

Try to look at quality equipment that rates RMS etc.

Personally Thousand watts off a car supply doesn't add up. Thats equivalent to 1 bar on yer electric fire.

My Home amplifier is 170W RMS into 6 ohms across 7 channels and even that drops with all channels driven. But crucially the thing weighs in at 30Kg.

Couldn`t agree more - My work here is done   :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2009, 08:58:27 »

Well Evvo I think that was a bargain, because here in my country they're at least 30% more expensive than that.
Was looking on ebay for good speakers but the postage is killing every deacent price I find >:(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.