Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facelift headlight removal  (Read 1198 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Facelift headlight removal
« on: 25 November 2009, 13:41:53 »

I keep finding new features in my 2003 Elite that I didn't have in my 1994 CD. Such as
- Press and hold the climate temperature knob for about 10 seconds and it changes from degC to Fahrenheit.
- Beam adjusters for continental driving.

Actually I read about the beam adjusters back in September around about when I had to fit a new battery. I couldn't ignore the glue on the nearside headlight (presumably from a previous owners stick on beam adjusters) so cleaned that off with white spirit and had a quick grope inside the headlight to check that the beam adjuster was there. I couldn't find it so I decided to leave well alone.

Just recently I have noticed that my beam pattern was like
____ \__ instead of \__ \__.

I already knew that I couldn't get my hand in to the nearside headlight without the battery in place so I decided to undo the headlight retaining screws and ease it forward to have a look.

On my pre-facelift I would have undone 3 screws to lift the grille off, popped off the headlight washer jets, undone the  screw retaining the trim under the headlight and then the two lower headlight retaining screws would have been accessible.

I thought the facelift would be even easier (with the grille being attached to the bonnet) but I couldn't see any way of removing the trim under the headlight, it appears to be plastic welded to the headlight. I did try undoing the top 2 screws and (gently) pulling the headlight out but it did feel as though it was still attached underneath.

I put the screws back in, pushed the battery back as far as it would go (about 1/4") and did eventually manage to force my hand in to get the rubber cap off & then used a mirror on a stick to see that the lever was 'up' (= flat beam on passenger side). I somehow managed to ease the lever down and refit the rubber cap.

SO - getting back on topic. How do you remove a facelift headlight? Should I have pulled a bit harder when I had the top 2 screws out? or is it a bumper off job? or is the plastic trim clipped on rather than welded on?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Welung666

Re: Facelift headlight removal
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2009, 14:05:25 »

Plastic trim has a pin type clip on the inner edge then carefully pop the 2 tabs out from under the headlight. 3 x 8mm screws hold the hearlight in, 2 at the top (obvious ones) and the 3rd is underneath. Push the top edge of the bumper down a touch about where the headlight & indicator meet and you'll see it ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2009, 14:14:52 »

Plastic trim has a pin type clip on the inner edge
Excellent :y Thank you.

I did look at something that looked like a plastic peg/rivet but as I didn't absolutely have to remove the headlight today I erred on the side of caution and didn't try levering it out.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2009, 14:19:33 »

Plastic trim has a pin type clip on the inner edge
Excellent :y Thank you.

I did look at something that looked like a plastic peg/rivet but as I didn't absolutely have to remove the headlight today I erred on the side of caution and didn't try levering it out.

I use the blunt end of a drill bit and push the pin straight through with my hand behind to catch it, then the rivet affair pulls out. To re-fit just push the rivet back in then the pin pushes back in the middle :y

Omegadoha, Desert Member

• Omega Knight
  • Doha, Qatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2009, 10:24:51 »

After you have removed the plastic rivet as Welung describes, try to avoid it coming out of the washer fully. Just easier to reinstall. Then you can gently lever the headlight trim back and forth, it will eventually come out.

In order to remove the hidden screw for the headlight, I found it best to use an extendable screwdriver with an 8mm socket on the end. This way the nut will be intact when you withdraw the screwdriver out. Also it is easier reinstalling as you can sellotape the nut on the socket.  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2009, 15:39:18 »

And yes, much easier to remove than the earlier headlights with the washer assembly attached to them
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.