Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: key wont turn in ignition?  (Read 3261 times)

Abiton

Re: key wont turn in ignition?
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2009, 17:24:14 »

While you've got the barrel out and the tumblers all visible, experiment with the in-out position of the key to see if there's a position slightly less than fully inserted where the tumblers all sit nice and flush with the surface.

On ours, simply inserting the key a couple of mm less than fully seemed to do the trick.  I wonder if the tumblers wear at the contact points with the key; then with key fully inserted, the tumblers fall too far into the notches in the key.  Pull the key out a tad, and the tumblers climb up the slopes adjacent to the bottom of the valleys, and end up nice and flush with the outside.

If this does turn out to be the case, just wrap something around the hilt of the key to stop it going in so far, jobsa gudun.

Don't forget to fettle up the inside of the lock bit as well as the corners of the tumblers that bear on that surface. Failed attempts to turn the key soon generate some burrs on that inside surface.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2009, 18:55:54 »

On a similar tack and, I think, what Andy b was hinting at....

If the barrel with pins is visible with key inserted, rather than withdrawing the key slightly, you could also file the parts of the lock flush with the housing, thereby 'customising' a (random) key/barrel to 'your' key, absolving you of the need for a differrent key for door locks and ignition....   ;)

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2009, 20:31:51 »

I managed to get the key to turn, to get the barrel out, but since then I cannot get it to turn to take the barrel apart :( :( Ive tried lots of different positions of wiggling but so far it wont move. So if  Welung666 you have a matching door lock and thats easy to change :-? that maybe the answer. Neither of my keys work in the passenger door ::) and due to my location and need of 4 x 4 both estates are going on ebay very soon :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( so it would be good if door and ignition were the same key.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2009, 21:17:49 »

A little more wiggling and have now got it apart :D :D :D :D so theres still hope :y

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 January 2010, 16:57:51 »

The barrel from  Welung666 arrived but with a different key to mine so imoboliser wouldnt fit :( So took both barrels apart, writing down the numbers and started to rebuild ::) ::) worked out I could use tumblers from both barrels to make one working one ;D ;D ;D ;D just used the numbers either side of the orignal order to allow for wear :D :D :D :D :D :D shame Ive run out of daylight, so will have to wait until tomorrow to fit back in the ignition.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.