Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speakers  (Read 1220 times)

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
speakers
« on: 11 October 2010, 19:01:17 »

hi all i have a cd 2005 in my car and while the sound isn't brilliant all round, when i put it to back speakers only it sounds like it's playing underwater would this be a speaker problem or a unit problem, on a second thought does anyone have a good idea for an upgrade to this stereo, thanks, Rich
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2010, 16:05:28 »

Assuming you mean the built in rear speakers.

They have just got a push on connector underneath.

Pull them off, wire up another speaker, most of us have them stashed away somewhere and check the sound out. Quick way to tell whats at fault.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2010, 16:35:47 »

2005 is really weak and generally crap! I stuck an Alpine 9854R in mine, still with standard speakers it sounds sooo much better and i have a 3.5mm jack aux input...

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2010, 16:47:27 »

everyone assumes its the speakers that are crap, infact its the headunits that are weak, I have a jvc 4x40w and it sounds great with the standard speakers, I changed the speakers for sony ones and it was worse, The black coned speakers seem to have slightly better sound than the beige coned ones tho.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2010, 17:03:54 »

everyone assumes its the speakers that are crap, infact its the headunits that are weak, I have a jvc 4x40w and it sounds great with the standard speakers, I changed the speakers for sony ones and it was worse, The black coned speakers seem to have slightly better sound than the beige coned ones tho.

The radio and the speakers were put in there by the manufacturers to hide the rattles of the car, and all have been built to the aboulte lowest budget possible.

The standard stereo is indeed very poor quality, and most models are less than 15 Watts per channel. So yes, a serious improvement can be had by replacing this.

However, the speakers, also built for a few pence, only have an input power rating of around 18 Watts, and often blow when the original stereo is connected, so what do you think is going to happen when you connect a modern 50 Watts head unit to an 18 Watts speaker - doesn`t take a genius to work that one out. incidentally, the Beige ones are probably nothing more than sun bleached black ones !!

Ideally, you need to replace the lot, head unit and speakers - but a little tip here, go for a quality set of speakers, as some of the budget stuff can spound just as bad on a good head unit as the OEM ones did on the original stereo - and another tip is to avoid anythng with a Sony badge on them !!

So far, the current Clarion range of speakers we have on our website seem to be very popular when fitting into the standard locations without breaking the bank - certainly worth a look !!

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2010, 17:11:12 »

Hate to disagree with you Dave, but there are definately 2 types of speakers fitted to the omegas (non bose) the beige ones are not faded black ones, as black fades to grey not beige  :D

and so far in my 10+ years of omega ownership I have never blown a set of standard speakers with an aftermarket h/unit.

if clarity and thumping bass is the required sound then by all means upgrade both.

For a modest improvement in sound within a budget and without removing all the door cards a decent h/unit will suffice.

BTW nice sales pitch re. speakers  ;D ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2010, 17:21:06 »

Hate to disagree with you Dave, but there are definately 2 types of speakers fitted to the omegas (non bose) the beige ones are not faded black ones, as black fades to grey not beige  :D

and so far in my 10+ years of omega ownership I have never blown a set of standard speakers with an aftermarket h/unit.

if clarity and thumping bass is the required sound then by all means upgrade both.

For a modest improvement in sound within a budget and without removing all the door cards a decent h/unit will suffice.

BTW nice sales pitch re. speakers  ;D ;D

I take on board what you say about the biege speakers -there probably are different versions, but all of them end up in the bin here - many look sun bleached though.

And there are plenty on here who have blown aftermarket head units when connected to standard speakers, as its the head unit that gives up first !!

Lets face it, if the Omega stereos and speakers were any good, then I, as a stereo repair centre, would not be on here, as I have absolutely no interest in the Omega whatsoever, but am only on the forum due to the sheer volume of radios that you guys appear to be breaking !!!

Never had an Omega - never likely to  :P
www.dndservices.co.uk

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2010, 17:47:20 »

thanks for the replies and advice i think i will start with the head unit as i like to carry more than one cd at a time and also would like someting that plays mp3 then will see how the speakers are,  once again thanks for the replies and must say quite a tidy fit you got in there have you managed to hook that into the steering wheel controls? and do you know of any after market stereos that you can do this with?
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2010, 18:29:54 »

www.dndservices.co.uk

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2010, 10:13:21 »

I've got MacAudio in the front and Kenwood in the back (both component ones). Macs are good,  for something cheaper I would also suggest Magnat since they are nice speakers for the price

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2010, 10:54:50 »

I've got MacAudio in the front and Kenwood in the back (both component ones). Macs are good,  for something cheaper I would also suggest Magnat since they are nice speakers for the price

Excellent choice of speakers, and glad to see the brands being supported - Used to be a main dealer for them many years ago !

Sadly, distribution in the UK of both of those brands is now so poor, that they no longer receive the attention that they deserve

:'(
« Last Edit: 15 October 2010, 10:55:42 by Dave_DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.