Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seat transplant, F/L-Mini F/L  (Read 914 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Seat transplant, F/L-Mini F/L
« on: 10 March 2011, 11:53:42 »

Right, I want a heated seat in my mini facelift as the drivers is bust, if I find a facelift one that works can it be put into mine bearing in mind the different heat controls between the 2 models?

I would imagine the seat end of it would be the same and the facelift control just varies the voltage to the element? but am likely being naive ::)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Seat transplant, F/L-Mini F/L
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2011, 12:11:02 »

I'd be inclined to fit a heated pad under your existing leather(?) seat cover. LincsRob is the man who knows, but I believe the two heating set ups are completely different.
Have you had at look at what you've already got? Snipping out the burnt section (an inch or two) fixed both my Senator's & this Omega's seat. I've no idea if the Senator is even still on the raod - doubt it, but my Omega's seat is still working 6 yrs later.
Careful removing them though, they're awkward & heavy.  ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2011, 13:41:27 »

aint looked to be honest Andy, electicity is up there with withcraft to me. How do you mean snip it out, does stuff need rejoining ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 14:28:58 »

it would probably be easier and quicker just to change the seat, and get one that matches you current trim.

Its easier if you have cloth, but the leather ones require cutting and stitching.

Both heated seats work in mine, but as I have cloth, I find i never used them, even when it was super cold.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2011, 14:40:06 »

.... How do you mean snip it out, does stuff need rejoining ?

The element is a very fine multi strand 'wire' If burnt out it's quite obvious because the scorch marks. You'll need a soldering iron.  ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2011, 14:47:23 »

it would probably be easier and quicker just to change the seat, and get one that matches you current trim.

Its easier if you have cloth, but the leather ones require cutting and stitching.

Both heated seats work in mine, but as I have cloth, I find i never used them, even when it was super cold.

Aye that was my plan but working leather drivers ones are pretty scarce, tend to be the newer the more likely to work hence thinking about facelift one.

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2011, 16:49:21 »

To be honest these heated seats were never that reliable even when the Omega was new. I had two seat pads replaced by Vauxhall both paid for by a Network Q warranty. The dealers would simply replace the entire seat pad top or bottom. I ended up with a completely new drivers seat and the warranty company got a bloody great bill. If you really feel that you must have a heated seat to keep your Derry Air warm then as Andy B suggested sliding a new pad under the existing one might be your best bet however you could get lucky and find that the broken circuit wire is in a relatively accessible place. This topic used to come up quite a lot so you should find quite a bit of info both on here and Vxon. Be warned though that quite a few people ended up trashing their seats attempting a repair. Getting the leather back nice and tight is a bit of an art, very easy to end up with a saggy mess. If I remember correctly someone even bought a second hand seat to have a practice run and work out how to open one up. You could always take the seat pads off and take them to an automotive upholsterers and get them to open up the cushion and put a new heat pad in I've seen that being done at a local business here in South East London. Have a search I'm sure I've seen pictures somewhere of someone doing the surgery with reasonable success.   

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2011, 18:44:03 »

Right, I want a heated seat in my mini facelift as the drivers is bust, if I find a facelift one that works can it be put into mine bearing in mind the different heat controls between the 2 models?

I would imagine the seat end of it would be the same and the facelift control just varies the voltage to the element? but am likely being naive ::)
No.

3 eras of seats:
Prefacelift (to 1997)
Minifacelift (98 and 99)
Facelift (2000 to 2003)

Not interchangable
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.