Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Draining  (Read 752 times)

John-R

• Liverpool
    • 2003 2.6 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Battery Draining
« on: 06 May 2011, 18:41:37 »

Ok Guys.
I've seen some similar threads, but not really the same as this.
Problem started the other day. Driving home from the school run, noticed that idle speed jumped from about 500rpm to nearer 800rpm. Got home, turned off, but when I went to go out again about 30 mins later, battery was absolutely dead. Called breakdown who jumped the car and checked alternator output (13.6v). Went for a 3 or 4 mile run to "put some life" back in the battery, but same thing happened later.
Put battery on ca=harge overnight and next morning all fine. 2 or 3 trips through the day and same happened again.
Charged overnight again and on my first trip today, after about 7 miles all sorts of dashboard lights flashing, speedo and rev needles flicked to 0 and eventually lsot throttle control ! !
Got a battery check done - which measured 8.7v and cells short circuit. So bought a new battery and put it on - all ok until tonight - same again - loads of lights and lost throttle control.
I am guessing that something must be draining, but where do you start?
Currently waiting for breakdown to jump the car again and get it home.
Any ideas welcome.

Forgot to mention, also had the error code light on - did the pedal trick and got 0560 (P0560 System Voltage High Input P0560 System Voltage Low Input P0560 System voltage malfunction) and 1523 (P1523 Electronic Throttle Control Malfunction). Oh also it's a 2003 / 2.6.

Thanks
John
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose . . but you can't pick your friends nose !

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Draining
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2011, 19:20:07 »

13.6 isn't a great alternator output. 14 or more is typical. Then again, that alone wouldn't cause the battery drain, unless the alternator has developed a fault that is causing it to drain the battery.

This has been covered in a few threads in the last couple of days but essentially you need to check the drain from the battery when standing using a multimeter and keep pulling fuses until you find the faulty circuit.

Given the low charging voltage I might be inclined to check the current drain down the far cable from the battery that feeds the alternator and starter first. While you're there check it's still tight and not getting hot where it's crimped into the battery terminal..

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

John-R

• Liverpool
    • 2003 2.6 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2011, 20:54:24 »

Thanks Kevin.
Local breakdown came and put the booster on so I could get home. Also checked the alternator o/p and today it reads 12.2v - seems to be getting worse ! !
Looks like I've been draining the battery today with the windows up and down and the air-con on. :-[
Defo think I'll find an alternator tomorrow. Not much room in these engine bays . . .  :D
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose . . but you can't pick your friends nose !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2011, 10:40:07 »

So is it not a drain on the battery, just its not being charged?
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2011, 11:34:04 »

Check the battery cable crimps first... They're a known week point and can give the same, strange symptoms ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.