Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I buy 2.2 Dti CD Estate?  (Read 886 times)

Muttzy

• London
    • View Profile
Should I buy 2.2 Dti CD Estate?
« on: 24 October 2011, 12:10:57 »

Hi there!

I'm looking at a 2002 2.2 Dti CD estate and was wondering if this is a decent economical diesel estate to get? Have also been looking at Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130's around the same year.

The Omega has apparently had a new engine 10 months ago, lady owner who appears to have spent a lot on maintaining!

Basically looking for best power and economy out of a car I can also load to the brim! Mainly town driving with the odd long run.

Appreciate any advice!

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy 2.2 Dti CD Estate?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2011, 19:27:26 »

Don't see why not fella, you get a lot more car for your money with an Omega. I'd personnaly by the one below ahead of a Mondeo (and I own 2 Mondeos). It would be about £1,500 cheaper than the equivalent Mondeo. Better mpg in the Mondeo but the price difference would take years to claw back. Always worried with the Mondeos DUal Mass Flywheel. Not sure the Omega had one but don't think it did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130588362254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

Simon72

• Intermediate Member
  • Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2011, 20:55:34 »

Don't see why not fella, you get a lot more car for your money with an Omega. I'd personnaly by the one below ahead of a Mondeo (and I own 2 Mondeos). It would be about £1,500 cheaper than the equivalent Mondeo. Better mpg in the Mondeo but the price difference would take years to claw back. Always worried with the Mondeos DUal Mass Flywheel. Not sure the Omega had one but don't think it did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130588362254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Omega 2.2dti DOES have a D.M.Flywheel and mine went at 18,000 miles while still under Warrenty, total bill cost curtosy of VX £2300 inc Vat.

At the moment mine is 8 years old with 62,000 miles on the clock and Full VX service history and unfortunately is in need of a Clutch again, have been told that a Clutch Kit costs approx £300 + Labour and once it is off if it has damaged the face of the Flywheel then it will need another DMF costing £695+vat+labour.
Hence have been told this is why so many of these cars with DMF's are scrapped if the Bill for a Clutch / DMF exceeds the value of the car :-(

Fuel economy I am getting is only 34mpg around town, BUT once on a motorway and cruising for a long distance is averages 48.9mpg

Personally it is a large car for the money BUT the engine does lack the power it needs to pull such a large car around, Only 125bhp

Hope that helps

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2011, 22:26:38 »

Given what Simon72 has said, and looking at the condition of the car, body quite tatty, for that price, how about a 2.2 petrol, you will get more car for your money and an average of 27 around the doors and 35 on a run and petrol is cheaper so the difference is quite small really, just a thought..... :-\ :-\ :-\

zarehs

• ILFORD, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2011, 16:00:19 »

I have had my DTI for a year now and I have put 36K on it.  It now has 115k with no engine / clutch or DMF issues.  The only work I have had done is due to wear and tear (suspension, brakes etc.)

I picked mine up for 2k with 79000 on the clock.

As long as you keep up the oil services should be OK.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2011, 16:07:58 »

The DMF and clutch are very robust on the Omegas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.