Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking ban in cars....the PC brigade's at it again!!  (Read 8829 times)

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking ban in cars....the PC brigade's at it again!!
« Reply #105 on: 18 November 2011, 00:00:41 »

Someone was policing it, one man sat in a control room monitoring the whole town including the roads in and out. The best of it is that one man was a non paid volunteer who was doing his duty for the community. If you look into it you will find that alot of these control points are manned by volunteers hence my reference to do gooders.

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 18 November 2011, 00:04:39 »

Sorry I did'nt count one unpaid volunteer as a drain on Policing. They dont need a copper there everything is recorded and decisions regarding prosecution can be made at a latter date.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 18 November 2011, 00:41:03 »

Pity that one volunteer can't sort people on mobiles whilst driving, speeding and the general crime rate ;)

Let's be honest... CCTV isn't the answer here.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 18 November 2011, 00:48:25 »

i have pissed up and puked up so many town centre doorways in my time and never got a knock on the door....

i dread to think what the owner of the local thorntons must have thought when opening up her shop in....  :-X :-X :-X :-X
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 18 November 2011, 01:15:44 »

The guy is there to control the pubwatch scheme he is not looking for motoring related "crimes" as such. The point I make is that the technology and equipment is already there to do the job without any real drain on the resources they already have. Sure I would agree it wont happen straight away it will be slowly implemented, the police force is being thinned but I suspect that the reason behind this is technology taking over as its far more economical and effective to have one man behind a camera than several officers riding round in cars. In the same way any cameras work I:E sat there 24 hrs 7 days without the cost of wages vehicles fuel etc etc but still raking millions in revenue each year. Once these laws and systems are 100% in place where will it go from there? Cameras are already being used to fine and prosecute. The more laws the more revenue its likely to generate. In many places it already been proved that these devices are doing nothing to decrease crime levels and in the same light a lot of speed cameras are doing nothing to increase road safety (which is the line we where sold when they were being implemented) so if the reason stated is being proved non constructive why is the system being expanded at such a rapid rate. You get a speeding fine through the post giving you 3 points in exchange for £80 how hard and how much in the way of resources did that take to extract from you? Its the thin edge of what I can see as being a very thick wedge.

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 18 November 2011, 01:48:52 »

Many said what George Orwell wrote would and could never happen.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 18 November 2011, 02:32:21 »

The English are Anglo-Saxons, where did they come from, a tribe of Germans in Saxony....  ::)

This country is getting more like Nazi Germany every day, the wicked administration and imposition of unfair and evil deeds happens every day from an army of petty council and government officials, (lets call them what they are State Servants or SS for short). Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Politicians in this country and the EU have more power than they have ever had in the past and they have vehs of making vou conform and obey the vules. Ask the Greeks or Italians, how many of the new Italian cabinet have been democratically elected (clue between none and zero). Dictatorships
often start on the basis of best intentions.. veh have vays of helping vou.

Misleading road signs, bus lanes to trap the unwary, ching, your mistake £80 will do nicely. Speed cameras at speed limit change points, at the bottom of steep hills are all fair game for catching motorists doing a few miles over the speed limit. Ching £80 and 3 points will do nicely. A pat on the back from the head of the Gestapo council, for doing their job with such zeal and efficiency and raising so much money for the public purse. When asked about it, they are just doing their job and following orders - now where did I hear this before -that's it the Nuremberg trials in 1946.

For many reasons I don't feel a free person in this country. You must do this, do that, why because it is the law. A piece of paper accidently drops from your pocket, ching £80 for littering, parking ticket writing upside down ching £60, window misted up, so can't see parking ticket, ching £60., congestion charge that must be bought everyday or ching big fine... so the list of big intrusive government goes on, however unreasonable the official has been, but you can also appeal, actually I just want to be left alone to live my life in my own way and as part of that I will respect other people and their views and their property, and treat them how I like to be treated.

This is another reason I'm moving to the Ukraine as they have had all of this rule following, plus brutal repression under Stalin and Brezhnev (don't worry its coming to the UK anytime soon and in many ways it is already here, white hit ethnic, racially motivated, 2 years, ethnic hit white, they felt threatened 100 community service, etc, etc. The law should be the same for everybody, but it is now more the same for some people than others). Now the people of Ukraine value their new freedom and basically ignore most intrusive rules. When I ask my wife why the answer is always the same "Because this is the Ukraine". Which I interpret as we are Robin Hood they are King John.

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 18 November 2011, 08:08:43 »

The guy is there to control the pubwatch scheme//....

This country is getting more like//...

Its the thin edge of what I can see as being a very thick wedge

Of that, you can rest assured.

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 18 November 2011, 08:46:07 »

Personally I feel that if using your phone or drinking coffee at the wheel is not allowed then why should smoking be?

I personally do not do either of those thing Matt, but I don't find smoking a distraction when driving. I think sneezing while driving is probably more of a distraction and has been known to cause accidents, so are they going to ban that?!! Where do you draw the line? I think good old common sense needs to be used rather than bullying tactics. ::)

Maybe so in your experience but I know of many people who have nearly crashed because they dropped the cigarette or part of the hot ash fell in their lap.

Plus it gets on my tits when I see people just chucking them out of their car window.  They are not biodegradable.

I've been known to chuck them back in to them!  ;)

If people want to smoke then thats their right.  I personally preferred clubs etc smelling of smoke, since the ban they just ronk of BO and bogs! And I've never even tried smoking.
Been there, fallen over it!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 18 November 2011, 08:51:52 »

Personally I feel that if using your phone or drinking coffee at the wheel is not allowed then why should smoking be?

I personally do not do either of those thing Matt, but I don't find smoking a distraction when driving. I think sneezing while driving is probably more of a distraction and has been known to cause accidents, so are they going to ban that?!! Where do you draw the line? I think good old common sense needs to be used rather than bullying tactics. ::)

Maybe so in your experience but I know of many people who have nearly crashed because they dropped the cigarette or part of the hot ash fell in their lap.

Plus it gets on my tits when I see people just chucking them out of their car window.  They are not biodegradable.

I've been known to chuck them back in to them![/highlight]  ;)

If people want to smoke then thats their right.  I personally preferred clubs etc smelling of smoke, since the ban they just ronk of BO and bogs! And I've never even tried smoking.

It's smokers who give smokers a bad name ;)
I like red cars

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 18 November 2011, 09:29:21 »

The English are Anglo-Saxons, where did they come from, a tribe of Germans in Saxony....  ::)

This country is getting more like Nazi Germany every day, the wicked administration and imposition of unfair and evil deeds happens every day from an army of petty council and government officials, (lets call them what they are State Servants or SS for short). Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Politicians in this country and the EU have more power than they have ever had in the past and they have vehs of making vou conform and obey the vules. Ask the Greeks or Italians, how many of the new Italian cabinet have been democratically elected (clue between none and zero). Dictatorships
often start on the basis of best intentions.. veh have vays of helping vou.

Misleading road signs, bus lanes to trap the unwary, ching, your mistake £80 will do nicely. Speed cameras at speed limit change points, at the bottom of steep hills are all fair game for catching motorists doing a few miles over the speed limit. Ching £80 and 3 points will do nicely. A pat on the back from the head of the Gestapo council, for doing their job with such zeal and efficiency and raising so much money for the public purse. When asked about it, they are just doing their job and following orders - now where did I hear this before -that's it the Nuremberg trials in 1946.

For many reasons I don't feel a free person in this country. You must do this, do that, why because it is the law. A piece of paper accidently drops from your pocket, ching £80 for littering, parking ticket writing upside down ching £60, window misted up, so can't see parking ticket, ching £60., congestion charge that must be bought everyday or ching big fine... so the list of big intrusive government goes on, however unreasonable the official has been, but you can also appeal, actually I just want to be left alone to live my life in my own way and as part of that I will respect other people and their views and their property, and treat them how I like to be treated.

This is another reason I'm moving to the Ukraine as they have had all of this rule following, plus brutal repression under Stalin and Brezhnev (don't worry its coming to the UK anytime soon and in many ways it is already here, white hit ethnic, racially motivated, 2 years, ethnic hit white, they felt threatened 100 community service, etc, etc. The law should be the same for everybody, but it is now more the same for some people than others). Now the people of Ukraine value their new freedom and basically ignore most intrusive rules. When I ask my wife why the answer is always the same "Because this is the Ukraine". Which I interpret as we are Robin Hood they are King John.

hahaha that just made me LOL!  ;D ;D ;D

I've got to say however i personally don't agree with this.

To say it's getting more like Nazi Germany is ridiculous. i don't see anyone being persecuted because of their ethnic background..... quite the opposite in fact imo.

those examples about litter dropping out your pocket, window misted up etc is classic newspaper sensationalising (if thats the right word lol). yes, i'm sure there are instances when one of the SS's get's on his high horse and thinks he's robert mugabi but on the whole these silly things where the law is taken to the extreme doesn't happen.

as for not being a free person......... well lucky you're in a country where saying such things is allowed cos i'm not sure it would be in north korea!

just my opinion of course so no offence or argument seeking intened  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #116 on: 18 November 2011, 19:46:27 »

Ban humans.

It's the only answer

yes.yes.. nuke them all ;D ;D :y

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 18 November 2011, 22:24:30 »

Whatever any of us think there comes a point where common sense overides the law, enough is enough. Ok i can't go to pubs, restaurants, cinemas any more. If i still drove a taxi i can't smoke in that either, fair enough times change & i accept all of the above albeit it grudgingly but us smokers have had our own way for far too long & the non smokers have had to suffer so now it's thier turn to enjoy all the above. What goes around comes around & us smokers are taking a well deserved kicking now. That said i will NOT be told whether or not i can smoke alone in my own car/house. To hell with what the law brings in i simply wo'nt recognize it...you can still smoke in prison, they dare'nt outlaw that because they could'nt handle the result & they know it.

To all the non/ex smokers i envy you & wish i did'nt indulge in such a filthy habit. You've rightfully stopped smoking almost everywhere & can now go out & enjoy it as you should be able too but leave our private homes/cars to us, any more is being greedy or self righteous. Guy. :y
Curry makes the world go round!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.