Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drove a Jag XJR last night  (Read 1623 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Drove a Jag XJR last night
« on: 11 March 2012, 13:20:19 »

As the title, was driver for a group of 4 last night and used the Brother in Law's Jag because the Omega has no MOT ::)

What an engine (V8 Supercharged)/box combination... It goes well :-X ::)

However, I hated the drive and have said that I'd rather not drive it again until the bits are sorted. He was aware of the issues I found but isn't ready for the 4 figure repair bill yet ::) Needs, 2 wheel bearings, shock mounts and bushes all around.

It was the most awful drive I have ever experienced in that the car, mainly the rear end, just seemed to wander all over the place. I've always said that the Gayboy bloke was a bit anal about rear end movement but having experienced this drive it makes even the worst Omega I've ever driven seem good :o :o I was doing about 20mph in town when I noticed the wander so I couldn't really enjoy the 20 mile drive home because I was constantly correcting it :'(

Still... I'm looking forward to having another go when it's all sorted because it doesn't half pick up!!! :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Drove a Jag XJR last night
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2012, 13:46:03 »

Driven Josh's Rangie which has the same Supercharged V8 I think, likewise its a peach of a engine, can't wait to drive one with some decent suspension  :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2012, 14:23:41 »

Driven Josh's Rangie which has the same Supercharged V8 I think, likewise its a peach of a engine, can't wait to drive one with some decent suspension  :)
As have I ;) Not the same engine though (as the Jag is quite a bit older ;))

Funnily enough the RR got better economy towing the loaded car trailer than I got towing it empty on the return, although I was "pressing on" a little :-X ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2012, 15:30:28 »

That sounds a lot like my Jag  ;D The steering does it's own thing most of the time and you just sort of politely request it to change direction, if it should feel so inclined. Very British ;)

I did give it full beans from a standing start yesterday though  :o for a car with 'only' 300hp new (probably less now) it picks up very nicely indeed, considerably better than the Omega according to the butt dyno - though the vagueomatic steering might have something to do with the excitement factor ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2012, 15:41:08 »

That sounds a lot like my Jag  ;D The steering does it's own thing most of the time and you just sort of politely request it to change direction, if it should feel so inclined. Very British ;)

I did give it full beans from a standing start yesterday though  :o for a car with 'only' 300hp new (probably less now) it picks up very nicely indeed, considerably better than the Omega according to the butt dyno - though the vagueomatic steering might have something to do with the excitement factor ;D

Indeed... He was egging me on at a light controlled roundabout. Normally when the lights go green from the direction I was coming you can launch it and the next set just go green before/as you get to them, even in the Omega. Of course... With all the egging on (him and 3 other drunk people ::)) I decided to do a full on launch but had to brake for the second set of lights :-X :-X Still left everything standing though ::) And the noise of the supercharger is rather addictive ::) Although I wouldn't be able to "put up" with the vagueness there is in the drive train at the moment :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2012, 15:44:18 »

This a 1998 ear style supercharged one? Always fancied one of those, dirt cheap now too!

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2012, 16:06:36 »

I've got to be honest, having driven mine around for a bit now (not that much given how knackered the shocks - one creaks like it's dry - and tyres are), I'm very tempted to track down a slightly newer Jag in good condition.

X300s are pennies!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2012, 16:10:07 »

I've got to be honest, having driven mine around for a bit now (not that much given how knackered the shocks - one creaks like it's dry - and tyres are), I'm very tempted to track down a slightly newer Jag in good condition.

X300s are pennies!

Being 27, I shouldn't like this. I should get a FWD hatch, but I think for the money this is far better!

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201210455092102/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/model/xj/make/jaguar/page/2/radius/1501/postcode/tw89de/keywords/supercharged?logcode=p

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2012, 16:16:48 »

X300s are pennies!

Being 27, I shouldn't like this. I should get a FWD hatch, but I think for the money this is far better!

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201210455092102/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/model/xj/make/jaguar/page/2/radius/1501/postcode/tw89de/keywords/supercharged?logcode=p

That's too cheap. I'd be suspicious as at that mileage HG or Supercharger failure are high on the list of possibilities ;)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2012, 16:52:25 »

I have replaced the Range Rover now with a Jag. It's a 2006 XJ8 4.2 n/a sovereign. The Range Rover was 396bhp, and the n/a engine is 300bhp. I must say the Jag does feel quite slow compared to the range rover. Perhaps it's the perceived speed you get in a Range Rover because of its weight and size.
The X350 Jaguar XJ range is getting cheaper by the minute. An early 2003 3.0 V6 with high miles can be had for not much over £2,000.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2012, 19:42:50 »

I drove my mate's 10 plate VW Passat at the weekend. What a pick up for a Diseasal!!!! rear view camera too  8)

Just ashame it looks so plain and shit from the outside.

DSG box too.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2012, 21:14:09 »

I have replaced the Range Rover now with a Jag. It's a 2006 XJ8 4.2 n/a sovereign. The Range Rover was 396bhp, and the n/a engine is 300bhp. I must say the Jag does feel quite slow compared to the range rover. Perhaps it's the perceived speed you get in a Range Rover because of its weight and size.
The X350 Jaguar XJ range is getting cheaper by the minute. An early 2003 3.0 V6 with high miles can be had for not much over £2,000.

See you've been on the Jag Forum Josh   ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.