Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 engine... wheres my oil??  (Read 3983 times)

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 engine... wheres my oil??
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2012, 13:02:26 »

Think the oil is the least of its worries now  :-X

???
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2012, 13:26:15 »

Hmm?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

jimac

• Newcastle upon Tyne
    • Vectra 1.9 CDTi [150] SRi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2012, 15:01:10 »

nope not even a dribble... no smoke billowing out of exhaust either.. surely not burning with just over 100k on clock?

Mine was burning oil with only 94k on it. Just like you, I only noticed the oil consumption after I had had it for about a month but just kept topping it up. I hadn't noticed any clouds of smoke, but there was an occasional puff when it started up.  Then, a few months later, I took it for its MOT and the amount of smoke from the back while the emissions were being tested were embarassing (it even set off the smoke alarm in the garage!).  I ended up having to fit a replacement engine.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2012, 15:17:55 »

nope not even a dribble... no smoke billowing out of exhaust either.. surely not burning with just over 100k on clock?

Mine was burning oil with only 94k on it. Just like you, I only noticed the oil consumption after I had had it for about a month but just kept topping it up. I hadn't noticed any clouds of smoke, but there was an occasional puff when it started up.  Then, a few months later, I took it for its MOT and the amount of smoke from the back while the emissions were being tested were embarassing (it even set off the smoke alarm in the garage!).  I ended up having to fit a replacement engine.
My pet theory is that the catalytic converters are capable of completing the combustion process for quite large quantities of unburnt oil on high mileage motors.

My old 2.5 v6 was using a pint of oil every 1000 miles (on motorways) once it got to 170,000 miles. It was still running fine at 200,000 miles and flew through the emissions part of the MOT every year. I don't remember ever seeing any smoke come out of the exhaust (given the oil consumption I was expecting to).
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2012, 20:25:35 »

My pet theory is that the catalytic converters are capable of completing the combustion process for quite large quantities of unburnt oil on high mileage motors.

My old 2.5 v6 was using a pint of oil every 1000 miles (on motorways) once it got to 170,000 miles. It was still running fine at 200,000 miles and flew through the emissions part of the MOT every year. I don't remember ever seeing any smoke come out of the exhaust (given the oil consumption I was expecting to).

Thats 30 pints Andy its me or the car :y  ;D ;D ;D
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2012, 20:37:29 »

It happened on mine 2.0 which is basically.the same engine was cam cover gasket fault. Lost about a liter in a week after oil change. Also check the crankshaft seal at the front lower part of the engine, that's where mine's leaking but never got to fix it
I would rather push omega than drive renault

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2012, 10:49:45 »

Mine does this. It'll use hardly anything then it'll go GULP. GIMME MORE OIL! Then it'll be fine again and use hardly anything. Strange engine the 2.2  ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2012, 14:10:18 »

As long as the oil light hasn't been on and it hasn't been totally starved, it has hopefully had enough in there to keep it well enough lubricated....

My guess is blocked breathers are not helping. Sort the known issues, IE the camcover and do a full breather clean, oil and filter change - and take from there.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.