Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Security madness in the US  (Read 1912 times)

Nickbat

Security madness in the US
« on: 25 April 2012, 23:17:12 »

"The ever-controversial screening policies of the TSA [Transportation Security Administration] are under the microscope again after Dina Frank, a 7-year-old girl with cerebral palsy, was rigorously patted down to the point where her family missed their flight."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/333278/20120425/dina-frank-tsa-7-cerebral-palsy-screening.htm

A 7-year old with cerebral palsy a security risk?

Absolutely bonkers. The world has gone mad.  >:( >:( >:(

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Security madness in the US
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2012, 23:43:02 »

Or you could argue that they dont discriminate based on disability. I have read about celebrities tweeting their anger at being patted down as well. Once again non discriminatory?

I agree that the searches seem excessive, but given their experiences over the last 10 yrs or so, I can see the reason for their paranoia/policies.

The problem arises from the fact that the "patters" are probably trained to search a normal person, but have no or limited training to use in such a situation, so apply the same rules to all. Intelligence and discretion is probably not a high enough requirement in recruiting to such jobs it would seem.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 23:48:05 »

Or you could argue that they dont discriminate based on disability. I have read about celebrities tweeting their anger at being patted down as well. Once again non discriminatory?

I agree that the searches seem excessive, but given their experiences over the last 10 yrs or so, I can see the reason for their paranoia/policies.

The problem arises from the fact that the "patters" are probably trained to search a normal person, but have no or limited training to use in such a situation, so apply the same rules to all. Intelligence and discretion is probably not a high enough requirement in recruiting to such jobs it would seem.

No, it's daft. As I understand it, positive profiling works much better and avoids upsetting innocent people.

Patting down a 7-year old cerebral palsy victim is just plain stupid and insensitive. No other description for it, in my book.  >:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 23:54:45 »

No, it's daft. As I understand it, positive profiling works much better and avoids upsetting innocent people.

Patting down a 7-year old cerebral palsy victim is just plain stupid and insensitive. No other description for it, in my book.  >:(

However, if you are an employee and are INSTRUCTED that every person that does not pass through the detector must be "patted down", why should you risk disciplinary action, and possibly dismissal ??

I accept the argument that it is OTT perhaps... but that is the fault of the folks who MAKE the rules .. not those who APPLY them.

And those folks (making the rules) are probably well aware that certain elements in some parts of the world have no compunction in using children and invalids to further their own ends.

many sides to this story ... far more than the headline you publish and appear to take as the only one.

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2012, 23:57:49 »

However, if you are an employee and are INSTRUCTED that every person that does not pass through the detector must be "patted down", why should you risk disciplinary action, and possibly dismissal ??

I accept the argument that it is OTT perhaps... but that is the fault of the folks who MAKE the rules .. not those who APPLY them.

And those folks (making the rules) are probably well aware that certain elements in some parts of the world have no compunction in using children and invalids to further their own ends.

many sides to this story ... far more than the headline you publish and appear to take as the only one.

Hence my comment about positive profiling. More sides to the story? I doubt it. 

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2012, 00:14:20 »

The land of the free? - Big Sis has other ideas.

Their public representatives appear to be as useless and incompetent as ours - only in a fully tooled-up, very cynical and extreme party political way;  all ‘led’ by a guy and his Administration more content to indulge in rhetoric, play the race card when needed and generally do anything but apply themselves to the practical job at hand.  . 

Many of those fundamental rights which Americans have enjoyed for so long now appear to have been gradually eroded by Washington lawmakers - and others with vested interests - driving a horse and cart through the long accepted rights of the individual.

On the back the terrorism now experienced and feared in the US homeland - spawned by an aggressive US expansionist policy designed mainly with self interest in mind - the government is doing a very good job in denying its citizens the very freedoms so carefully laid down and guaranteed in their Constitution.

Want to know what oppressive government is all about? – try to photograph a police officer at the scene of an incident, take issue with A TSA representative at an airport or, indeed, question any form of authority, you will then experience the raw and unsavoury side of those charged with supposedly keeping America and its citizens safe.     

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2012, 00:28:54 »

>:( absolutly stupid  >:( >:( makes you think the person doing the pat down had other motives
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

jimac

• Newcastle upon Tyne
    • Vectra 1.9 CDTi [150] SRi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2012, 10:25:07 »

>:( absolutly stupid  >:( >:( makes you think the person doing the pat down had other motives

Well, I'm not saying it is the case, but I can imagine a scenario where we might not have the full story.

If they missed their flight due to a pat down, it is quite likely that they were cutting it fine anyway.  So, they get to security in a bit of a rush but get told that the little girl still needs to be searched.  Arguments ensue, tempers fray, teddies are launched from perambulators and the TSA guys take a "we'll show you" attitude.

There's probably more than one side to this story.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2012, 11:35:32 »

Agree with Nige and Den on this one.

Terrorists are the new "commies" in there eyes nowdays.
If you even look at a official at a airport in what they believe is a disrespectful way, the good old
US of A nowdays deems you to be a potential threat and you will be treated accordingly.
The more you kick off, the more they will make you suffer for it.

Us brits used to be seen as allies but since we appear to be getting into bed with islam, we, or pretty much everybody else are not needed / wanted anymore.

The movie "Team America world police" is more true to life then people give credit for.
Well the US authorities think so anyway  ::)

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2012, 20:21:58 »

What's with the 'patting' terminology anyway ? ???   
The correct procedure is, light pressure with the hands flat and slide over the area, as shown here: http://youtu.be/vOSHu-UpQmg 

Anyone who actually 'pats' has no idea what they're doing.   
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2012, 11:33:31 »

Another case here of not all information present, unless this "pat down" lasted for at least an hour how did they "miss" their flight? With someone ill, you would want to be at the gate with plenty of time. You don't want to be rushing, surely?

They must have been cutting it extremely close, I'm always past security with at least 1 hour before boarding. (Unless going standby, which is more like 10 minutes  ;D)

I don't see this as madness at-all, it would be quite a good way to sneak things into a plane is it not? Get a sick child, who will by-pass security? Load them up with potentially destructive materials, knowing they avoid security pat down? Bit of a big security gap  :o

Security done the right thing, its not up to them who they should & should not pat down. Its a rule for everyone, no matter their colour, race or gender.

The Franks should have left more time to get to the gate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.