Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Children in Cars  (Read 1814 times)

cleggy

Children in Cars
« on: 23 May 2012, 08:43:03 »

Does anyone know the legalities of carrying children in cars?

I would like to take 4 adults, two kids 7 and 3, plus 3 dogs for a day out. So, three dogs safely in rear of the estate, two adults in the front, leaving two adults with two kids on the back seat doesn't sound feasible to me. One child seat on one side, a booster at the other leaving two slimish adults sharing the centre strap.  :(

My main concern is the safety aspect. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Children in Cars
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2012, 08:47:11 »

Not legal, can't have two adults sharing a lap belt. Guess only option is one of those bench seats in the boot?  :-\

Martian

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2012, 08:47:47 »

All children under 12 (and under 4'5" I think) have to be in their own correctly fitting child seat, and all other passengers also have to have their own seat (with seat belt), so you need a 7 seater if you don't want to get nicked.

cleggy

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2012, 09:19:20 »

Not legal, can't have two adults sharing a lap belt. Guess only option is one of those bench seats in the boot?  :-\

Three Labs and two kids ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Tunnie and Martian I thought that would be the case I could always leave one of kids  home alone ;D ;D ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2012, 11:21:41 »

You can only carry as many passengers that there are seat belts fitted for.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

cleggy

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2012, 11:27:28 »

You can only carry as many passengers that there are seat belts fitted for.

Succinctly put sir, something to remember :y :y
It was the safety aspect that I was concerned with, I was not happy to put the passengers at risk despite my son thinking it would be OK, you never know ???

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2012, 18:27:19 »

If I wasnt such a ludite Id be able to post a link to the "worlds worst dad" video thats on my MSN homepage with the guy with the kids in the boot of what looks like an old cavalier merrily driving along....

martin42

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2012, 19:34:31 »

Also don't forget you are only insured to carry 5 people in the car, anymore and if you had an accident your not insured,not worth the risk tbh  :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2012, 21:32:29 »

All children under 12 (and under 4'5" I think) have to be in their own correctly fitting child seat, and all other passengers also have to have their own seat (with seat belt), so you need a 7 seater if you don't want to get nicked.

On the right track.... :y  But no age specified, height less that 135 cm must be sat in a child seat or appropriate booster seat, the days of piling kids into the back of an estate are long gone.... :D :D my record was 22 Cub Scouts in the back of a LWB series Land Rover.... :-X :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2012, 21:40:53 »

On the right track.... :y  But no age specified, height less that 135 cm must be sat in a child seat or appropriate booster seat, the days of piling kids into the back of an estate are long gone.... :D :D my record was 22 Cub Scouts in the back of a LWB series Land Rover.... :-X :-X

There is an age limit ..... otherwise vertically challenged adults would have to use a booster seat too!  ;D ;D
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#kids1213

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2012, 23:15:34 »

There is an age limit ..... otherwise vertically challenged adults would have to use a booster seat too!  ;D ;D
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#kids1213

I knew that, ie about small adults, what I was getting at that suddenly at the age of 12 it does not change, as such.... :-\ :-\ I know what I mean..... :-[ ::) ::) :P :P Bugger off to the Merc Forum........ :D :D

In fairness Andy I have been having a good look around tonight and it is pretty good, got my post level up to 8.... :y :y :y Loads of info on auto boxes....... :-X :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2012, 23:24:43 »

In fairness Andy I have been having a good look around tonight and it is pretty good, got my post level up to 8.... :y :y :y Loads of info on auto boxes....... :-X :-X

I've not been on there at all for a few days ......  ::) ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.