Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elite estate suspension upgrade  (Read 7099 times)

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Elite estate suspension upgrade
« Reply #75 on: 24 February 2012, 14:59:44 »

Well Cris,
To use Kevins phraseology why not "Suck It And See"?
Install the bladders with airline from each to Tee
Airline from Tee to schrader valve
There you have the basis for testing and working out a control system
I'll do a post on how I plumbed in the airline thro the spring base platforms(not easy)
« Last Edit: 24 February 2012, 15:02:32 by Cliffo B »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 24 February 2012, 17:17:20 »

I may be misunderstanding something, but .. if you're using a bladder within the spring to provide the levelling, won't you also be progressively raising the spring rate as you raise the car?

Yes, but is that necessarily a problem?

I'd have thought a 'levelling' system ought to use a bladder outside of the spring - either sandwiched above it or below it, or within the damper per the OE system to effectively make the damper longer or shorter (though doing that in itself probably changes the effective spring rate as you'll change the preload on the spring - so I guess the best system would be a bladder that can move the spring platform along with a suitably long throw shock absorber)..

If you're determined not to change the spring rate the solution would be a solid spring platform that can be wound up and down - a bit like on an adjustable coil-over shock absorber. Motor to wind the platform up and down. The problem is making it suitable for retro-fitting, which this solution does very well. With more weight you'd probably want a stiffer spring rate anyway (and different damping in an ideal world).

Somehow it sounds like a worse compromise than the OE levelling system.. and different to what Cliffo has achieved, which is essentially a system that lets him restore the spring rate to suit the ride he wants, rather than the ride height he wants?

But the OE levelling system is all wallowy anyway so why not try to achieve the levelling functionality with the betterb handling that better shocks and springs achieve?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 25 February 2012, 12:56:47 »

I am no expert on sport lowered suspension systems
Never really had the opportunity to compare the performance differences between a std vehicle & modified one
I think its to do with my reluctance to stress a motor to its very limits
Think its just how I am
I've thought about how I feel the bladders would function in a sport suspension environment
And the answer to me is much the same as with std suspension
The bladders will beef up the springs to take the extra weight load
Perhaps how they do this can be seen in the 2 pics showing the bladders inflated to 12psi
The bladders appear to expand outward from within the spring more than upward
Could not this have a damping effect on the spring coils? 
This hopefully will allow the shocks to iron out bounce & jounce
This is at the level of the vehicle as dictated by the air pressure from within the bladders
If on testing the bladders come up to expectations
Then simply connect the OE system airline to the bladder airline
This could be simple the bladder airline is 6mm O/D and 4mm I/D
If the OE O/D is 4mm?
As already said its down to the system pump being up to the task
When I installed the bladders originally on my MV6
I used a cheap on board pump/tyre inflator plumbed in the estate rear side locker controlled by a manual switch
And used this for about 2yrs without any probs

« Last Edit: 25 February 2012, 13:01:30 by Cliffo B »

Peter13

• Budapest, Hungary
    • '98 3.0 MV6 Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 05 September 2012, 15:41:26 »

Hi,

I'm glad to found this topic. This is exactly what I was looking for! My MV6 has been built from SL to normal, but it rides too low even though I have also replaced the springs. Could somebody tell how much does the bags cost? I can't find on the MAD suspension website and it also seems they don't sell outside of UK :(

There is a similar product sold here in Hungary, but in only one size and I can't decide wether it would be okay or not. It is 20cm high and the diameter is only 8cm. Seems too small, doesn't it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.