Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: batt light  (Read 1517 times)

bigtow

• Intermediate Member
  • rochester kent
  • 2001 3.2 MV6 manual was 2.6 auto
    • x type 2,0d estate
    • View Profile
batt light
« on: 24 November 2012, 11:08:48 »

hi all while driving home this morning at 2 am i noticed the battery light was glowing very faintly i had the hrw on and the heated seat along with the de mister when i turned the hrw and seat off it wasnt visible any more would you say this points to the charging side of things or the battery ?
2001 MV6 3.2 manual been converted from 2.6 auto

bigtow

• Intermediate Member
  • rochester kent
    • x type 2,0d estate
    • View Profile
Re: battery light
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2012, 12:33:52 »

ok next question is  what battery will fit the tray some sites are listing 075 and others a 017 i really want the biggest i can get or is this a bad idea ?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: batt light
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2012, 13:23:42 »

hi all while driving home this morning at 2 am i noticed the battery light was glowing very faintly i had the hrw on and the heated seat along with the de mister when i turned the hrw and seat off it wasnt visible any more would you say this points to the charging side of things or the battery ?

Diode pack on the regulator is on its way out  ;)
Got one off ebay for a less then 20 quid delivered but I believe my 3ltr one is different to your 3.2
Iirc, Kevin Wood sorted his out a while back with a new regulator of ebay.
Pm him for details  :y

As for changing it, remove the bagpipes and lay it ontop on the plastic engine tray to get at the wires.
Took me about 90 minutes start to finish  :y

As for the battery, unless you have lots (and I mean lots  ;D) of electrical toys added like the police trafic cars, i'd stick with the standard one  :)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2012, 14:06:17 »

Diode pack on the regulator is on its way out  ;)
Got one off ebay for a less then 20 quid delivered but I believe my 3ltr one is different to your 3.2
Iirc, Kevin Wood sorted his out a while back with a new regulator of ebay.
Pm him for details  :y

As for changing it, remove the bagpipes and lay it ontop on the plastic engine tray to get at the wires.
Took me about 90 minutes start to finish  :y

As for the battery, unless you have lots (and I mean lots  ;D) of electrical toys added like the police trafic cars, i'd stick with the standard one  :)
Yep, and 3.2 reg. a lot more expensive
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

bigtow

• Intermediate Member
  • rochester kent
    • x type 2,0d estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2012, 20:05:01 »

Hmmmmm I have not long ago changed the Altenator for one from steve at omega spares as the last one the light came on and wouldn't go off don't relish having to change it again but I still have the old unit so will have to get a new regator pack for it . I know it was a used unit but could there be a underlying fault ie a failing battery that is killing the regulators ?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 22:51:52 »

Check the battery clamps... I'd bet my 2p that the crimps on the cables are failing and they are hot to the touch ;)

If so, replace the clamps for about a fiver and the problem will almost certainly go away :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2012, 22:55:35 »

Check the battery clamps... I'd bet my 2p that the crimps on the cables are failing and they are hot to the touch ;)

If so, replace the clamps for about a fiver and the problem will almost certainly go away :y :y

Could be. My positive connection was warm/hot to touch & the charge light would glow very dim until I borrowed a bloody big set of crimp pliers from work & managed to compress the crimp a nadgers.  :y It's bee  fine since.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2012, 00:11:52 »

Could be. My positive connection was warm/hot to touch & the charge light would glow very dim until I borrowed a bloody big set of crimp pliers from work & managed to compress the crimp a nadgers.  :y It's bee  fine since.

Yep, also well worth checking the ground connections all the way from alternator to battery and chassis. So, alternator to engine, engine to battery, and battery to chassis.

Often you can tell when here's a fault here  by measuring voltage drop between these items and the battery negative terminal with some electrical loads turned on.

Could well be an alternator issue, but worth eliminating the cheap and simple first. :y

Also worth going through the guide to see if the battery's OK and charging properly http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90619.0
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.