Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driverless cars  (Read 1341 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Driverless cars
« on: 23 March 2013, 18:37:15 »

We know the technology exists, so how long before we see them on British roads?

There are more answers than questions.

Would it be safe for "robot" cars to mix with ones driven by mere mortals?......especially women ::) ::) :).

If the car is "driverless", who is responsible in the event of an accident. The manufacture, or the passive passenger?

I think they'll be here sooner than we think. :-\

It's 1984 again, chaps. :-\

mantahatch

Re: Driverless cars
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2013, 19:42:58 »

Personally I can't wait for them. The idea of getting in car in the morning typing in address and then catching a few more Zs on the way to work is very appealing.

No hassle motoring  :y from me.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2013, 20:44:48 »

Judging by the standard of driving nowadays, I think there are a lot of 'driverless' vehicles operating on our roads!  :-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2013, 22:02:04 »

I think we take ourselves for granted. The human brain deals with a lot more than you give it credit for. Plotting a route and staying between objects is one thing, accounting for out the ordinary is another.

Anyone with advanced driving skills of which there are probably a few on here will tell you, once you start talking out loud about the possible risks around you, you soon appreciate how much more is going on.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2013, 22:11:51 »

I think we take ourselves for granted. The human brain deals with a lot more than you give it credit for. Plotting a route and staying between objects is one thing, accounting for out the ordinary is another.

Anyone with advanced driving skills of which there are probably a few on here will tell you, once you start talking out loud about the possible risks around you, you soon appreciate how much more is going on.

I couldn't agree more - The Human brain is 'designed' to operate at 10-15mph maximum.... running speed.  When travelling at 30, 40, 100 MPH, the brain doesn't compute volume of movement at the same rate as when stationary.  Furthermore, the ability to compute diminishes rapidly as we age.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2013, 22:15:55 »

I couldn't agree more - The Human brain is 'designed' to operate at 10-15mph maximum.... running speed.  When travelling at 30, 40, 100 MPH, the brain doesn't compute volume of movement at the same rate as when stationary.  Furthermore, the ability to compute diminishes rapidly as we age.

Once again, probably a few on here ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2013, 00:13:15 »

When the human brain was formed a human could not travel at that speed, so how come it is designed to operate at 10-15MPH?..... ::) :D

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2013, 00:16:18 »

When the human brain was formed a human could not travel at that speed, so how come it is designed to operate at 10-15MPH?..... ::) :D

I thought you was supposed to read all the thread. Running speed apparently. Zimmer frame speed not quoted.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2013, 10:16:34 »

We know the technology exists, so how long before we see them on British roads?

There are more answers than questions.

Would it be safe for "robot" cars to mix with ones driven by mere mortals?......especially women ::) ::) :).

If the car is "driverless", who is responsible in the event of an accident. The manufacture, or the passive passenger?

I think they'll be here sooner than we think. :-\

It's 1984 again, chaps. :-\

Too late. I think google have already been trialling them in the UK.

Regardless of how we value our freedom to be able to brake late, drop it into third for a corner and give it some welly etc the writing is on the wall for driving. Most journeys can or indeed are done with brain switched off. e.g. 70 mph right behind the vehicle in front for 80 miles on motorway(with another fifty vehicles right on your bumper) or crawling through rush hour stop start traffic. Driverless cars would maximise the road space available.

It just needs the government of the day to plug them with financial incentives and they would take off.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2013, 11:29:28 »

Making the car driverless isn't particularly difficult. nor is getting it to follow a set route.
Now add in all the things that you can't control, or anticipate in enough time. Things like road conditions, other traffic, pedestrians, systems failures, weird stuff you've never seen before, sudden weather etc, etc.
The only way to make this 'work' would be to have the vehicle follow a set path where such things are seriously reduced/eliminated. If you took such a thing to it's logical conclusion, then providing rails for it to run on would reduce the need for any steering input. Coupling each lets call it a 'carriage' together would eliminate the need for independent speed control. As it would be more economical to have more than 4 people in each one, lets make them big enough for 100 people?

If such a system was viable it would catch on really quickly.
We'd need a catchy name though.

How about 'Train'??

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2013, 12:24:56 »

Judging by the standard of driving nowadays, I think there are a lot of 'driverless' vehicles operating on our roads!  :-\

+ 1  ::)

Next thing we know they will want all the roads converted into railways  :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.