Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Gasket? Or worse?  (Read 1372 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Head Gasket? Or worse?
« on: 30 August 2013, 19:15:01 »

My 2001 51 plate fiesta with the 1.8 TDdi engine in it

For the last week or so it's felt like it's been down on power. The other night SWMBO and I were on the way up to Pauls to get his Omega

We got from Beaconsfield to somewhere between Banbury and Warwick, and, hands up, I was being a little right foot happy as the motorway was dead.

All of a sudden, the power just completely went. Absolutely nothing happening with the right foot.

Pulled onto hard shoulder, and the engine cut out. Lifted the bonnet, coolant and oil levels fine, no leaks. It smelt really, really hot though. Removed the oil filler cap and there was a huge amount of vapour coming out. I didn't attempt to re start it, and it went home on a tow truck.

The next morning I had a look. It turns over, a little slower than I'd expect, and it's got that classic sound of an engine that's down on compression on a couple of cylinders. Occasionally a little cough as it tries to start, but no joy starting.

There is fuel arriving at all four injectors upon cranking, plenty of the stuff, so no fuel delivery issues.

Does this sound like HG failure? I don't think it's suddently dropped a valve because there were symptoms of power loss leading up to the total failure, probably over the past 200 miles.

I've removed the upper timing belt cover, and the belt kit is totaly intact, the belt hasn't jumped.

On a seperate note, does anyone have any experience of removing the metal cambelt housing? I've not attempted it yet as only had a quick look, but it looks a right pig!!!

I guess it's at least worth popping the head off for a look?

Annoyingly these cars aren't fitted with  a temp gauge  >:(

I_want_an_Omega

Re: Head Gasket? Or worse?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 19:27:00 »

I might be wrong - but on these don't you have to remove the O/S engine mount to work on the cambelt - by jacking up the engine?  :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 21:55:40 »

Before pulling the head off wouldn't it be a better idea to do compression / leak down tests to confirm?

or for quick check those things that check for combustion gases in the coolant?  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 22:00:09 »

Before pulling the head off wouldn't it be a better idea to do compression / leak down tests to confirm?

or for quick check those things that check for combustion gases in the coolant?  :)
any mechanic would check that 1st ;)
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2013, 22:14:27 »

Bearing I don't routinely work on diesels, and this car is worth pocket change...

I agree "any mechanic" would do these tests in the real world, but, buying expensive kit that I will potentially use once, on a cheap car.... may not be worthwhile...

I should have just stuck to Omegas, which I know, and have the kit for ;D
« Last Edit: 30 August 2013, 22:16:45 by JamesV6CDX »

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2013, 22:26:14 »

yes but miggys are easy---when you do them all the time eh----could be as simple as fuel filter--but cant see the problem being head gasket TBH
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2013, 23:00:25 »

Doesn't sound HG to me... It should spin over more quickly if HG, not slower ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2013, 23:11:08 »

yes but miggys are easy---when you do them all the time eh----could be as simple as fuel filter--but cant see the problem being head gasket TBH

How can it be fuel filter when there is an abundance of fuel at the injectors?

Turning over "slower" may not be a great description, I've never really heard it turn over as it always roars into life, it's just a classic easy turning over with no compression

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2013, 23:37:30 »

Doesn't sound HG to me... It should spin over more quickly if HG, not slower ::)

No, slower ime, when the head gasket went on a 2.2 I had, I tried to start it but hit water in a cylinder so turned over slow, till it fired and then loads of white smoke - steam out the back till I limped to the garage....... :-X

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2013, 23:55:51 »

Pull the injectors and have them tested, also could be the seals at the bottom of the injectors. Have seen this on diesels at my mates garage.

HTH

P
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2013, 11:12:50 »

Coolant level OK, "smelt really hot", no temp. guage. Could this be pointing to a water pump issue :-\
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2013, 16:30:17 »

How is the injector pump driven? Is it possible for the drive to slip (or jump a tooth)?

Is anything blocking the air intake? 1950s diesels sometimes had a cold start flap which could stop the thing running, maybe the crankcase breather coughed and blocked the intercooler. Some engines are prone to partially blocked air filters causing the hose to the turbo to collapse (of course it springs back when the engine is stopped... )

I imagine that testing a diesel compression must involve removing either the injectors or the glowplugs.

If a diesel has compression, is turning fast enough and is injecting diesel (at the right moment) then it will run. I would check all the air intake gubbins and the cam/injector timing before spending too much time investigating the head gasket.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2013, 17:17:05 »

Fuel pump on the 1.8 is gear driven,then a timing belt from pump to camshaft,they rarely give much trouble TBH.

Depending on age though ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

GEORIGG

« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2013, 18:54:01 »

I'm leaning towards a partial seize somewhere, maybe a piston, the over-heating and smell are indicative of a breakdown in lubrication somewhere, a partial big end seize is more likely to result in a red oil light coming on and a bit of a clackety clack off the bottom end.

A head gasket going is usually accompanied by grey/white smoke out the exhaust and/or a lot of gunge in the oil depending on the direction the water takes(either into the cylinder or straight into the sump), most times when it goes, the engine will still fire on at least some of the cylinders. Your description sounds a little more terminal, sorry to say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.