Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorado & Utah  (Read 2141 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado & Utah
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2013, 11:11:47 »

The thought of the actual holiday is very appealing, the thought of getting there isn't.

I would rather have a few teeth pulled out than sit in a plane most of the time,but flying across the atlantic on a wide bodied jumbo was a different experience altogether.Very relaxing to the point I almost forgot I was on a plane.

Even better in Business Class, loads of room to stretch out. You get a menu to choose your food, separate bogs from cattle-class.

It's much improved from when I was going close to 10 years ago now, get flat beds these days & even private pods on Virgin Atlantic. 

This was my view on-route to New York, United Business  :)

albitz

« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2013, 11:13:23 »

Daughter is flying business class to NYC next month.No doubt I will get every detail,from arriving at Heathrow to arriving back there again. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2013, 11:27:21 »

Thanks guys. If any of you fancy doing something like this, I am happy to advise, as we have been doing it since 1979. :y :y :y

Useful to know, doubt MrsT would go along for a holiday like this. But tempted to do one with the lads one year, how many miles do you do on these trips?

Just did a quote came out at $1.8k for 2 weeks, for "class c", so between 3 mates be about £387 for 2 weeks each. Which is not too bad really, looks like they get you on miles though. $420 for 500 mile pack? Do any companies do unlimited miles?

If did do big trip like to take in states like Arizona/Texas/Alabama areas, but that is big miles. Denver to Texas is 700+ miles

Answered my own question, found ones that do unlimited miles  :)

Something to add to the list of future trips, although think China & Vietnam might be first

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2013, 13:15:13 »

Thanks guys. If any of you fancy doing something like this, I am happy to advise, as we have been doing it since 1979. :y :y :y

Useful to know, doubt MrsT would go along for a holiday like this. But tempted to do one with the lads one year, how many miles do you do on these trips?

Just did a quote came out at $1.8k for 2 weeks, for "class c", so between 3 mates be about £387 for 2 weeks each. Which is not too bad really, looks like they get you on miles though. $420 for 500 mile pack? Do any companies do unlimited miles?

If did do big trip like to take in states like Arizona/Texas/Alabama areas, but that is big miles. Denver to Texas is 700+ miles

The best company we have found to rent through is 'IdeaMerge', who will tailor make a package to suit you, and still get you a better deal than booking direct. The best vehicles we find come from Road Bear. The first thing is: try not to do too much, we allow 100 miles per day, plus 10%. This allows you to stay 2 or 3 days in somewhere that you like, without being under pressure to cover too much distance, and bear in mind that you always have to cover some miles from a main Highway to reach a campground, of which there are many types, National Parks, State Parks, National Forest Service, and Bureau of Land Management, plus commercial campgrounds such as KOA, (Kampgrounds of America). Most people try to do too much, and as a result see too little of anything. For example, you could spend a month in Yellowstone, and not see it all, at 3762 Sq. miles. If you are only going to do it once, I would recommend Southern Utah, either accessed from Vegas or Denver. The scenery is fantastic, and you can easily visit Zion, Bryce, Arches and Capital Reef National Parks in a two week trip.Some parks offer reservations through http://www.recreation.gov/. A brilliant App to find camping grounds is 'Camp Where'. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2013, 13:18:39 »

Thanks, useful info there. I suspect its a few years before I do something like this with the lads, but all good info.

Low as 100 day? Guess as it's basically a truck you are not going to get anywhere fast, even more so with US highway speeds.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2013, 13:48:01 »

Thanks, useful info there. I suspect its a few years before I do something like this with the lads, but all good info.

Low as 100 day? Guess as it's basically a truck you are not going to get anywhere fast, even more so with US highway speeds.

It is quite easy to cover 500 miles in a day if required, but it all depends what you are using the vehicle for. If you are using it for cheap accommodation to visit different cities, by all means do so. We use it to enjoy the great outdoors and the fantastic scenery and wild life to be enjoyed in the Rocky mountain areas. For example, on this trip we will be staying for a couple of nights at a campground near Leadville at about 11000'. We learnt on our very first trip, which was from Denver to Yellowstone, in the days before the Highway was built, that it is very easy to try to do too much. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2013, 13:50:34 »

Indeed, will bear that in mind  :y

MrsT has family in Canada, did almost go this year was thinking about this kind of trip.  :)

Thanks for info  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2013, 14:14:42 »

The thought of the actual holiday is very appealing, the thought of getting there isn't.

I would rather have a few teeth pulled out than sit in a plane most of the time,but flying across the atlantic on a wide bodied jumbo was a different experience altogether.Very relaxing to the point I almost forgot I was on a plane.

Even better in Business Class, loads of room to stretch out. You get a menu to choose your food, separate bogs from cattle-class.

It's much improved from when I was going close to 10 years ago now, get flat beds these days & even private pods on Virgin Atlantic. 

This was my view on-route to New York, United Business  :)

Like you, I am tall, 6' 4½". We are in Club World. BA don't have First to Denver. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2013, 14:16:32 »

Indeed, will bear that in mind  :y

MrsT has family in Canada, did almost go this year was thinking about this kind of trip.  :)

Thanks for info  :y

Daughter and hubby have just returned from Vancouver, having toured Alberta and BC in an RV. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2013, 14:19:35 »

Spooky it was Vancouver for us too!  :o

Trouble was flights, although it was a wedding we were invited to, it was in August, so flights around £1.2k+ easy  :'(

Can no longer get 90% discounted United flights  :(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2013, 00:54:03 »

Just an update. We are now on the return leg to Denver, having seen some fantastic scenery. At present in Leadville at 10,000 plus feet. We crossed the Continental Divide today via Monarch Pass which, I think, was 11,352 '.  We saw a fantastic sight as we descended the pass, some 20 Vintage Rolls Royce cars, some open top, some with UK plates, and it was bucketing rain at the top, they were all climbing like good'uns, showing our American friends the quality of British engineering.
Back on Sunday next, Denver floods permitting. :y :y :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2013, 20:56:31 »

Just an update. We are now on the return leg to Denver, having seen some fantastic scenery. At present in Leadville at 10,000 plus feet. We crossed the Continental Divide today via Monarch Pass which, I think, was 11,352 '.  We saw a fantastic sight as we descended the pass, some 20 Vintage Rolls Royce cars, some open top, some with UK plates, and it was bucketing rain at the top, they were all climbing like good'uns, showing our American friends the quality of British engineering.
Back on Sunday next, Denver floods permitting. :y :y :y
Make sure you have some pontoons fitted just in case, sounds a hell of a trip :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.