Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling all facelift Elite owners!  (Read 2976 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all facelift Elite owners!
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2007, 17:21:24 »

It cost £85+vat at WIM HEMEL HEMPSTEAD but worth the trip but that is a trip from teeside,recommended all the same. :y

Sweet deal. I might combine that with an airbag light reset from one of our friendly T2 guys... and maybe a trip to Plymouth to see my mate too. Just have to see how much I get paid over the next couple of weeks.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2007, 18:31:22 »

I've always thought the omega is one of the most planted, solid feeling cars around. It should also 'waft' along country lanes, the rear wheel drive making the steering much more responsive. The twitchyness reported, I don't think is in character with the car. To
put it in perspective, it shouldn't drive like a Vauxhall at all! More like a big Merc!

Though you are quite right when saying cars with wide tyres are more prone to tramlining. Our roads are pretty shocking though and we find that if tied to lane 1 whilst towing we're always getting caught in the REAL lorry tramlines!
« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 18:32:20 by davlad22 »

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2007, 19:26:11 »

Classic rear not setup correctly type symptoms....and the rear CAN be adjusted.
the rear adjusters can have a habit of seizing, which is what mine did!  i've recently had mine freed off so i can get my alignment done next week, the nuts that hold the adjusters came undone easy enough but the adjusters wouldn't budge!!

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2007, 20:01:19 »

Come on Guys we all know these cars handle like crap even when set-up correctly why keep kidding ourselves! ;D

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2007, 20:06:17 »

Well my car does not handle like crap. >:( IT MUST BE THE WAY YOU DRIVE IT.

It will out handle most large saloons and estates on the roads.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 November 2007, 21:23:36 »

Come on Guys we all know these cars handle like crap even when set-up correctly why keep kidding ourselves! ;D
That post is crap! As suggested, for a large saloon they are much nicer to drive than most other things on the road. That is one of the reasons they are selected for the police. Even the volvo's are FWD now, meldrew's 166 understears all over the shop, all french cars are crap full stop. BMW's are a viable alternative and a merc is closely related.

I know full well that the car should be safe to drive, that was the original point of the post. I think it's accepted that the facelift migs handle better than the pre-face and I tell ya, it's in a different league to a vectra or astra!  :y

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2007, 22:44:35 »

Here are the printouts I received when my geometry was set up.

« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 22:45:56 by V8S »

osealy

• Intermediate Member
  • dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2007, 23:03:10 »

Not a facelift.
Mine was fine with dunlops on the back.
Now with Acellera ? 225 55 16 unidirect its like driving with a loose live rear axle.
Smooth roads perfect, Dug up roads I feel embarrased that passengers will think i'm pissed.

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2007, 09:48:45 »

« Last Edit: 15 November 2007, 09:53:50 by V8S »

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 November 2013, 21:43:15 »

I know this is an old thread but after doing a quick search this came up as the most likely candidate.
I'm needing some pictures of the rear adjustment set up if anyone has them, just to prove a point to a Carlton (Omega A) owner. I knew the Omega B had adjusters for the rear toe (and camber?) but could not find a description or picture to convince him.
I would prefer pictures rather than diagram from EPC or the like if anyone can help out?

Cheers

Jon

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 November 2013, 22:56:37 »

the rear adjusters can have a habit of seizing, which is what mine did! i've recently had mine freed off so i can get my alignment done next week, the nuts that hold the adjusters came undone easy enough but the adjusters wouldn't budge!!

On both mine, I took the rear track rods off and freed them up before going to WIM in Chesham, that way they can adjust them easily. A good idea to do the fronts also, or liberal Plusgas to assist. :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2013, 20:33:48 »

Good evening v8s, I feel your pain.

Been there with one on my Elites that became extremely unruly to the point of being dangerous, and it took help above and beyond the call from members here to sort it.

First off appologies I'm extremely tired so may have missed a few facts among the posts here. I'll come back to it later but for now, some things I've found helped.

With any omega;
1 check the car fully for related faults and rectify.
2 set up
3 fit new tyres.

Those with Elites, esp those who like to crack on when driving, should strongly concider fitting firmer suspension. Elites are built for comfort so soft suspension is the order if the day. Trouble is soft suspension deflects the camber angle when compressed so tyres wear more rapidly with soft springs. So stage 1 Is a good time to fit something along the lines of Mv6 suspension.
 Bushes are also key to handling but a trade off. Firmer the better for accuracy when driving, but there comes a point where ride quality and comfort suffers. However poly for the front wishbone front bush are accepted as giving an improved accurate drive with only minor trade off in comfort/harshness.
  The 4 pots don't tend to destroy thier rear donut bushes like the v engines do but it's worth checking them non the less. Most seem to have at least slight rubber seperation sround the edges by now.

Once the structural stuff is sorted only then go on to the setup, but allow a few weeks for new suspension to settle to its new ride height first, if you do go down that road.

After thoughts, west country roads tend to roll and wallow an Elite quite nicely so try to stick to major roads where possible to keep the suspension from wearing the tyres. They like motorways. Difficult down there I know.

Never allow a set up firm away with the old "seized track rod" excuse. Wim went though a stage of this and it took 6 or 7 visits to get the steering straight.

There's a few guides on handling and set up so have a look through those. There's a thread on "approved tyres" so to speak. F1's being highly regarded so I do feel your problems lie elsewhere. Although primacy(?) and Michelins generally don't work too well once the profile is lost ime. I use conti sc3. Noisy but stable, good grip, just pray to the good lord himself that it never snows while they are fitted.

The nearest place I'd recommend to you is Micheldever tyres near the 303/m3 junction. They will remove track rods to free off and lube them. Avoid thier franchises though they a bit Micky ime.
 Otherwise Wheels in motion franchises are much better regulated. Thier web site will guide you.

Steering idler should have zero vertical play. Put a foot on the front wheel and push it firmly for and aft. There should be no more than a couple of mm play in the wheel position.

Right I'm off to bed.

Best of luck with it. They do go straight, honest. :) (but elites have the cards stacked against them more than any othe model in the omega range)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 November 2013, 21:36:01 »

Chrissy Baby - This is a 5 year old thread  ;D ;D
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2013, 08:04:45 »

Chrissy Baby - This is a 5 year old thread  ;D ;D

Woooo, my my haven't you got a slippery tongue.

Arse covered on line 4 big boy.  :-*

Pic within shows rear track rod adjusters. ;)
http://oldsite.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251982709/0

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2013, 09:31:53 »

I thought WIM were in in Chesham, have they moved to Hemel?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.