Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre widths for Taxi Drver  (Read 566 times)

chrisgixer

Tyre widths for Taxi Drver
« on: 22 June 2014, 22:12:10 »

Taken from another thread.
An interesting topic. Will probably get better replies in a specific thread. :y

So what would happen if you reduced the width on Omega's...... ??? ?

Ive just gone from 215's to 205's (they didnt have 215's in stock)

Immediate difference i noticed was how much i didnt feel the rough road surface.... :-\

I dont thrash the passat......so dunno what the reduced tyre size has done to gripablility  :-\

I have been checking the net and discussions about tyre grip as a function of width..

first I'll say my conclusion : on streets and crowded, speed limited motorways where you have low/normal speeds
you can practically assume physics basic friction law to be mostly applicable(with rare exceptions)..  so you wont feel a difference between an 205 or 235 tyre.
however,  looking at the fuel bills their grip differences are measurable ;D  (also as a function of tyre weight)

now when the time comes to test/measure their lateral g differences at curves with serious speed, the picture changes .. because tyres dont have a static shape and dont behave like static solid friction blocks..

and also when you compare those tyres for drag type usage of course wider tyres will make difference..

but more important than that,  the tyre design, tyre temperature , environment temperature , environment surface conditions plays a very critical role which is the mostly ignored factor..  :-\

as a basic example compare 2 cars, one having winter tyres with 205 and other car with summer tyres 265 width where surface is snowy/icy and temperatures around 0 celcius..  I think everyone can predict the difference.. 

ps: I have used 195 , 205,215 and 225 size tyres on omega on a wide speed range .. and I have noticed drive train components like shocks, springs and wishbones effect more than the tyre (assuming the tyre is not a very low quality type

chrisgixer

Re: Tyre widths for Taxi Drver
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2014, 22:14:20 »

I'd expect less lateral grip. A no no for me personally. Better stability. And given the higher profile to what I'm used to, a more compliant ride. Although more tyre roll in corners.

...maybe. :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2014, 22:47:37 »

Chris dont add the profile parameter  ;D  things will get more complicated :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2014, 23:15:54 »

Also, if fitting a less worn tyre such as new for worn out, it will likely feel more comfortable as there's more tread between the driver and the road. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2014, 17:22:37 »

You have to if you adjust the width...
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2014, 17:31:00 »

You have to if you adjust the width...

I meant use a fix height (which means already changing the ratio) .. but also if you change the height (or wall thickness) tyre behaviour can change..

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2014, 20:11:35 »

Yes we know tyre behaviours can change cem. Even in the same size, don't we ever know behaviour can change.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2014, 20:22:58 »

Yes we know tyre behaviours can change cem. Even in the same size, don't we ever know behaviour can change.

::)  not sure ;D :P

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2014, 20:35:12 »

How are we helping the op though...? :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.