Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm problem  (Read 2383 times)

teddington man

• exeter devon
    • omega 2.2 cd
    • View Profile
Alarm problem
« on: 12 October 2014, 08:19:19 »

Hi guys the little button inside my key has broken off so when I unlock my car to get inside the alarm goes off till I start the engine. Is there a way to stop the sound of the alarm till I get key repaired as I leave for work at 4am every day and wake everyone up

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm problem
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 08:42:52 »

get out of car with key in hand, close drivers door, open rear door, push drivers door button down, this will lock the car but not activate the alarm.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

teddington man

• exeter devon
    • omega 2.2 cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 08:49:26 »

get out of car with key in hand, close drivers door, open rear door, push drivers door button down, this will lock the car but not activate the alarm.  :y

Thanks red baron so this will stop the alarm from going off when I unlock and open the drivers door?

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 08:53:35 »

thats correct.  ;)

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

teddington man

• exeter devon
    • omega 2.2 cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 09:02:05 »

Ok thanks I'll give that a try in abit. Don't want to waking people up this time of morning on a sunday lol

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2014, 10:48:41 »

How badly damaged is the key? If it just needs the switches replacing this is quite simple if you are good with a soldering iron (or send me the fob, and I'll solder them in).

What I can't ever find is replacement rubbers - the tat on egay are all too hard/stiff.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2014, 10:54:26 »

Only slightly off topic, but an example of Sod's Law (it never takes a day off).....
Why, oh why whenever you take the keys out of your pocket does the key fob always present itself button side down? Well, 99% of the time, anyway. It is way beyond random chance and I think that there is dark evil at work here!

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2014, 14:45:01 »

Only slightly off topic, but an example of Sod's Law (it never takes a day off).....
Why, oh why whenever you take the keys out of your pocket does the key fob always present itself button side down? Well, 99% of the time, anyway. It is way beyond random chance and I think that there is dark evil at work here!

Ron.
Try turning the Fob the other way around on the keyring, and then see if it presents itself 99% the right way up.                   Bet it doesn't  :-X

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2014, 14:52:27 »

You win your bet, Zirk - been there, done that!
MY money is still on dark forces...... ::)

Ron.

Only Me

• Sunny Hartlepool - no honestly it is sunny
    • Omega 2.2 DTi CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2014, 16:56:44 »

The Red Baron, thank you as you have also saved my bacon too as well as teddington man. Can I ask however ow do you re-activate the alarm once all is well though?

TheBoy, I have taken my fob apart and the battery holder part just came out. I can see the two points that need soldering aswell as the two locating holes but how do I assess whether the part that has the buttons on is still ok or is that something only you can judge if I would ask you to look at it for me?

With the battery not connected properly in the fob at the minute (I have tried to pack the battery inside the fob with small pieces of paper folded over and over to "pack it out") will the key work starting the car (as in the actual blade) or does the fob do some clever electronic tomfoolery sending signals to various ecu's when you try to start the car?

Regards Neil

sjr47

« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2014, 17:22:52 »

Belive there is a transponder inside key housing not part of the main circuit board this is what activates /deactivates immobiliser so you should be able to still use the key with out busted circuit connections ie central locking immobiliser different  circuits.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2014, 23:15:49 »

Yep, the transponder chip which communicates with the immobiliser is a small chip loosely glued to the 'horseshoe' part of the key.  When you separate the two parts, you will see it.  DO NOT LOSE IT.  And, if you can be bothered (please do) liberally coat it in superglue so it will never fall out.

Many, many people open up their key to replace the battery and find they cannot start the car.  This is because the small chip fell out when they have, in haste, replaced the battery outside of the local jewellers or motor factors where they have bought the battery.

When opening the key up to do any work, always do it on the dining room table or somewhere where there is plenty of light.  That tiny chip is impossible to find in a carpark!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

ted_one

« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2014, 05:29:19 »

Been there and done that : ::))ex police car with only one key at the time and some distance from home= lowloaded to the nearest VX dealer and a 3 day frigg about while they got the key and car pass sorted out plus a £150 bill at the end of it all,lesson learned....the hard way :-[

Only Me

• Sunny Hartlepool - no honestly it is sunny
    • Omega 2.2 DTi CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2014, 14:37:51 »

Thanks Broomies Mate, I still have the little microchip and wow your are right it is super small, have glued it.

Regards Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.