Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to liberate steering idler from scrap yard  (Read 2624 times)

05omegav6

Re: Trying to liberate steering idler from scrap yard
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2015, 22:24:51 »

How is it going to be fitted? By removing the headlining through the rear quarterlight? In the dark whilst wearing clown hands?
That could work... :D

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2015, 22:26:19 »

How is it going to be fitted? By removing the headlining through the rear quarterlight? In the dark whilst wearing clown hands?

Nope. Two hammers. ;D

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2015, 22:58:15 »

I don't confess to understand all of the last posts.....

I was there removing other useful parts and I find it really useful to try removing things from a scraped car before I set about mine with the hammers! While I was having the track rods off I noted the idler was GM without play so thought why not  :y

Steve
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2015, 00:38:34 »

I'm with you Steve on this - it's all down to two factors - cost and time. If you're going to spend an hour trying to get off a part the scrappy will charge you £20 for and brand new ones can be had for £5, well it's waste of time, clearly.

However, In the case of the steering idler for the size and cost of the thing, well - as you say at the very least, always worth having a play about to remove it, but the last one I did was in the scrappy, and in then end two of us hacksawed through the rod it was attached to. Took it home, sat it in the vice, a fairly light tap and out the taper popped! So it must have been a case of bad access, as has been said on here already. That idler had done 37k, and they last for approx 100k. Mine's (in theory) not even due to go wobbly for another 25k, but worth having as a spare.

Method of two hammers just didn't work for me, (but it has worked for many) in my case access was bad, and I'd have liked to have got some more pressure on it, and also the whole steering assembly was taking much of the shock, too.

Can't knock scrappys  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2015, 00:47:21 »

Thing is with these, the amount of power needed to remove these varies greatly with the two hammer method. Sometimes they pop off relatively easily, but still needs a bloody good swing. Others, I've seen the whole assembley removed from the car, a full flat out swing with medium sized bats (dont want to Do damage just apply shock ) and it still won't have it. They "can" be a real shit.

A splitter can damage the rubber boot as well of your not reeeeally carefull.

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2015, 00:50:47 »

In the end I had to cut the old idler off the MV6 with a grinder and then fit the new GM part. The one on the Elite I did 3-4 years ago came off with the 2 hammers ;)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2015, 00:53:46 »

That might be easier for the op. Extension lead and a disc cutter. Cut through the pitman arm and have the good bits away.  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2015, 09:09:10 »

Agreed - as you say it's 'one of them things' - I've popped ball joints off quicker than I can say 'ball joint' and I've fought with them for practically hours. I seem to think Mark DTM explained that with pressure on the idler, when you smack it with the hammers you then are making the hole slightly oval, for a millisecond, thus allowing the shaft to pop out - explained more eloquently than I.

Would add that I'd definitely be going down the route of 'the two hammers' on my own car, as suggested by several good OOFers, it was only due to time constraints in the scrappy that I went down the 'destroy everything in sight apart from the bit I need' method.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2015, 14:46:59 »

Last time I changed one of these the balljoint splitter flew off at full tension and idiotted me right on the forehead knocking me clean out, I woke up on the floor with the neighbours looking down on me  :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2015, 14:48:48 »

Last time I changed one of these the balljoint splitter flew off at full tension and idiotted me right on the forehead knocking me clean out, I woke up on the floor with the neighbours looking down on me  :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D

I didn't write "idiotted" but I bet you can guess what it was
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2015, 15:07:51 »

I didn't write "idiotted" but I bet you can guess what it was
That place in Orkney I shouldn't wonder... ::)

Here... In fact...

:D
« Last Edit: 18 March 2015, 15:10:29 by Taxi Al »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2015, 15:33:16 »

10 points to Taxi Al  ;D

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2015, 18:02:42 »

Must go there one day!

I will pop back tomorrow with the battery grinder and 2 hammers  :y
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.