Author Topic: VJ day  (Read 1171 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
VJ day
« on: 15 August 2015, 14:40:14 »

Today is VJ day.The Japanese-who never signed up to the Geneva Convention-treated prisoners of war abominably,and in all probability the populace of the places they occupied too,but how many more times do people expect them to apologise?Even now they are only allowed the JDF,and not a full on military establishment.On the other hand I have heard reports of people vilifying the U.S.for using the A bombs.I don't have numbers to hand of casualties from these two raids,but if they'd not been used how much longer would the war have continued and with how many more casualties?Let's face it if Hitler or the Japanese beaten the allies to the nuclear bomb would they have hesitated to use it?I think not!!!

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: VJ day
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2015, 17:00:01 »

Hiroshima (150,000)...Nagasaki (75,000) these figures are an estimate real numbers not known
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2015, 22:21:31 »

Whilst I realise that these terrible events should never be forgotten, I think recriminations are counter-productive.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2015, 01:21:06 »

I think there were two major concerns which is why they were used to shorten the war.

1. The US had hard won experience of fanatical Japanese resistance as they cleared the Pacific islands and they expected much worse resistance and causalities on both sides with a Japanese mainland invasion. The defense plans they found after the war fully justified these concerns.

2. Several months after the end of WWII the true nature of Russian intentions in Europe were obvious and what a mess the naive President Roosevelt had made at the Yalta talks by over ruling Churchill's much greater realism and tougher line, so it was a case of end it quickly before Russia could get beyond taking a few small islands.

No sympathy for any country that start major wars. He who sows the seeds reaps the whirlwind. They did what they had to do to end the war, accept it and move on.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2015, 01:59:47 »

.....and on another tack, was at the drumhead service, marched down Whitehall and into Parliament Square and had tea with Charles & Camilla.(she can dance too...)

My Dad (who died in 2011) was 6th South Wales Borderers and was out there 1944 - 1947.
Legion organised event that I was able to attend as a descendant of a Burma Star medal holder.
Proud to represent him and his regiment and all those who were not there.
Amazing day and a quite remarkable occasion to be able to march down Whitehall (not in Uniform) to such a wonderful reception.
I carried his photo from Horse Guards to Westminster Abbey - my Dad would have loved it and finally had some form of official recognition for the fact that the war continued beyond May 1945.

'For your tomorrows, we gave our today'
Bless them all and may they also rest in peace
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2015, 18:47:44 »

My dad was in 44 (Royal marine) commando. He never really spoke about it.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2015, 19:40:41 »

My dad was in 44 (Royal marine) commando. He never really spoke about it.
My grandad is named on a memorial in Japan... Which is strange, as he died in Hertfordshire in 1998 :-\

But seeing as how his service records are sealed into next century, I will never know why... Most frustrating >:(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2015, 20:04:05 »

My pap was in Burma.  He never talked of atrocities but did say you had to be careful at night cos of them small poisoning snakes that could sneak in ya tent.  Black mamba perhaps  :o
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.