Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of interest  (Read 923 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Out of interest
« on: 22 September 2015, 18:38:42 »

Cam belt changes,and I'm not just on about Omega ones as I believe the same applies to other/all cam belts.As I understand it once the strip down procedure is done so you can get at it you then line up timing marks, attach locking tool remove old bits install new ones then remove locking tool.You then rotate then engine twice by hand and re-check timing marks are still aligned if so everything then goes back together.However there are apparently times when the timing marks don't line up after the rotation sequence,in this situation what has moved?After all the crank/cams can't have moved in relation to on another as they were locked in place,so what's altered?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Out of interest
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2015, 16:21:46 »

Once you've got everything lined up as it should then after a rotation of the engine, the marks on the pulleys and the timing belt will never line up again, you're quite correct. you need to use the marks on the pressed metal backplate / the 'magic liney-up tool' in the so-called 'locking kit' with the marks on the pulleys (the 'locking kit' actually includes the 'wedges' for locking, but also a couple of means of measuring the marks against the pulleys, checking they're lined up)

So they don't line up again, no, you have to rely on the marks provided by the tool against that marks on the pulleys. if there's a slight deviation (as there could easily be) then of course it's belt off, try again, etc.

Did mine as a 'hand on tutorial' from a mate (who did all the pointing and explaining) and I've had a sleep since then, but the principle's the same. It's not about where the belt is on the pulleys, it's about where the pulleys are in relation to the marks on the engine (ie: where the internals of the engine in relation to other internals of the engine)

or, to put it another way, if you locked the engine, slipped the belt off, threw it in the air, and refitted it in a totally different place, then unlocked the engine, then of course the engine would still run as if nothing had happened, because the timing hasn't altered.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2015, 16:32:43 »

Its all about correctly timing the cam to the crank (and in the case of a V6, timing the two banks together as well)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2015, 11:54:44 »

See, why couldn't I have just said that!?   ;D

What Mark said  :y :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.