Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: estate central rear seat belt will not pull out  (Read 3383 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: estate central rear seat belt will not pull out
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2016, 16:38:53 »

Make sure rear seat is fully locked in position......
Thanks jb. There was the clue, but I missed it. I was not aware of the link between backrest release plunger and central belt locking. I am now!
And thanks to Al for his excellent guide, and advice. This belt has led me a merry dance, and it is not re-assembled yet.

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2016, 18:08:46 »

Removed the lot, but as said, was seven years ago, pic jogged memory :y Glad you've sussed it :y

Seat lock button/mechanism is a simple but weak design, and easily damaged over time by pushing button down too far... usually pops back up following a firm slap or two where the latch is :y I have yet to find a way to fix this which doesn't involve either a replacement seat back or a large screwdriver and hammer to latch/unlatch the seat back :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2016, 09:04:00 »

With seat back upright and locked, I pressed the release button and watched he cable end. It did pull in, and on release slowly emerged as the button rose slightly. To ensure cure of my fault I removed the slider and spring depicted and reassembled. Seat belt now works normally. Hard to imagine the merit of that feature, locking the belt while the button is depressed. As I observed to wife, that belt has never been used, so no reason to fail, whereas driver's belt has has 16 years of daily use. How dare it fail?
Thanks again for help Al. Did quick check, greased brake pipes, think the car is now ready for MOT after 14th.. 

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2016, 10:16:54 »

The belt is attached to the seat back, yes?
The locks are there to ensure that the seat back is locked in position when you use the middle seat..
Otherwise in the event of a crash the seat back flies forward with you attached to it making the seat belt rather pointless..

(I used to have the same trouble with mine - generally spent five minutes whacking the seat back like some kind of crazed tourettes sufferer every time I put it back up..)

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2016, 17:13:56 »

The locks are there to ensure that the seat back is locked in position when you use the middle seat..
Otherwise in the event of a crash the seat back flies forward with you attached to it making the seat belt rather pointless..

(I used to have the same trouble with mine - generally spent five minutes whacking the seat back like some kind of crazed tourettes sufferer every time I put it back up..)
The dead bolt locks the seat backs together, there's also cable controlled locking quadrants at the centre hinge, plus the tilt lock on the centre belt. Righthand button has one cable attached to it, lefthand one has two, one for the lock and one for the centre belt.

Without the tilt lock, the centre belt functions as designed regardless of seat back position.

If the buttons are up, the the hinge quadrants are locked and vice versa... Note the quadrant spring gets weak over time and isn't a servicable part.

The upper deadbolt should always be used as it reduces the chances of boot loads punching through the seat back in a frontal prang.

Incidentally the lock quadrants and dead bolt aren't present on PFL cars.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 March 2016, 17:50:59 »

Yes, I'm sure that is the reason. However, unless someone chooses to sit in the middle without anyone either side, the side harnesses will also restrain the backrest.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.