Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: computer / wifi question  (Read 1547 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
computer / wifi question
« on: 20 June 2016, 19:09:25 »

Okay, i'm one of those sad gits who cant afford a proper holiday so i've got a caravan  :P

I've also got a laptop with 1000's of tunes on and also a Wi-Fi speaker that the lad got me for Christmas.

At home, laptop is hard wired too the router and then speaker talks to router and plays music to wherever I am at the time. Both controlled via a app on my phone.

The million dollar question is, how can I setup a small Wi-Fi network in my van so I can take the speaker outside when chilling / getting fatter / pished and listen to music on it ?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: computer / wifi question
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2016, 19:26:48 »

You don't. Taking music outside is anti-social!
What you do is have decent headphones on an extension lead and keep it to yourself.....

Ron.

Sorry, TG!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2016, 20:01:25 »

Put a duff or £empty PAYG Sim into any Windows or Android phone, then put the phone in WiFi HotSpot mode, it wont give you Internet but it will default as a Wireless Router. Just rename the Hot Spot and Password the same as your home router :y

You can of course put a valid Voice or Data Sim i there if you trust everyone with your Data Allowance.   
« Last Edit: 20 June 2016, 20:03:29 by Doctor Golllum »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2016, 13:04:46 »

You don't. Taking music outside is anti-social!
What you do is have decent headphones on an extension lead and keep it to yourself.....

Ron.

Sorry, TG!

No your not  ::) ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2016, 13:07:46 »

Put a duff or £empty PAYG Sim into any Windows or Android phone, then put the phone in WiFi HotSpot mode, it wont give you Internet but it will default as a Wireless Router. Just rename the Hot Spot and Password the same as your home router :y

You can of course put a valid Voice or Data Sim i there if you trust everyone with your Data Allowance.

Didn't think of that one  ::)
Shows how long its been since I had anything but a iPhone  ;)

Would it work with a blackberry or old Iphone connected via a USB to said laptop Mr golllum (with 3 L's)  ::) :-X

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2016, 15:14:58 »

Would it work with a blackberry or old Iphone connected via a USB to said laptop Mr golllum (with 3 L's)  ::) :-X
Dont play with iPhones or Blackberries, but guessing if you can put them in HotSpot mode then they should work as a Router.

Dont understand where the USB lead comes into play via the Lappy?, think you might be confusing a RG45 Network Cable with a USB Lead?, the phone in HotSpot mode becomes a WiFi Router (Wireless Hub) so just connect your Lappy via WiFi then connect your other devices through the Router as you would at Home, most modern Phones will throughput at 54 mbs for up to 5 devices so plenty of bandwidth to play with before it complains.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2016, 15:19:14 »

Dont play with iPhones or Blackberries, but guessing if you can put them in HotSpot mode then they should work as a Router.

Dont understand where the USB lead comes into play via the Lappy?, think you might be confusing a RG45 Network Cable with a USB Lead?, the phone in HotSpot mode becomes a WiFi Router (Wireless Hub) so just connect your Lappy via WiFi then connect your other devices through the Router as you would at Home, most modern Phones will throughput at 54 mbs for up to 5 devices so plenty of bandwidth to play with before it complains.  :y.
He doesn't have wifi at the pikey hut, I'm guessing.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2016, 15:23:29 »

Dont understand where the USB lead comes into play via the Lappy?, think you might be confusing a RG45 Network Cable with a USB Lead?, the phone in HotSpot mode becomes a WiFi Router (Wireless Hub) so just connect your Lappy via WiFi then connect your other devices through the Router as you would at Home, most modern Phones will throughput at 54 mbs for up to 5 devices so plenty of bandwidth to play with before it complains.  :y.
He doesn't have wifi at the pikey hut, I'm guessing.
Yes I know that, thats the whole idea of using a Mobile as a Wireless Router.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2016, 17:45:47 »

If both devices do Ad-Hoc mode, then that's the answer.

However, having been on so many sites where people do insist on blaring their crap out, I would vote for headphones too.
Grumpy old man

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2016, 12:03:09 »

USB is more to power the phone tbh.

I've run a cat5 network around the house for the various fixed t'nternet capable devices so i've got a pretty good idea about RG45 ect  :) :y

The site we use is mostly statics with just 2 strips of pikey vans on there.
One end is for people who have paid for a hard standing and basically live there for 9 months of the year.
The other is normally booked up by clubs so you normally get a little bit of noise but to be fair, 90% are all regulars so everybody is pretty friendly and considerate to the point of that if there is going to be a bit of noise, the vans close normally get a invite anyway  :y :y

In all, not a bad site at all  :y :y

As a added bonus, its only 2.5 miles away from were we store the van so a brown paper bag over head to hide the embarrassment when towing it is not normally needed   :P :D :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.