Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine musings  (Read 4240 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Engine musings
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2016, 11:21:07 »

Also, I'm crying a bit Mr Gonads, as I'm on about that average mpg from my little economical 2.5 versus your beefy 3.2...in fact did a brim test to compare what the trip comp says vs. real, and found it basically spot on, so that's good.

It's a tantalising thought, a X27XE, as Nick quite rightly calls it  :y

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2016, 11:22:22 »

Shackeng, Your training sounds a damn sight more interesting than mine!!!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2016, 11:23:37 »

Shackeng, Your training sounds a damn sight more interesting than mine!!!

It was certainly interesting looking back from here! :y
In the years I spent as a fitter before aviating, I worked on Merlins, Derwents, Hercules, Centaurus, & Cheetahs amongst others. :y
« Last Edit: 07 September 2016, 11:27:11 by Shackeng »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2016, 11:30:29 »

Chatting to an old boy and good friend who started in the RAF in the very late 40s (sadly no longer with us as of this year) he told me had a fabulous time. New Jets, new engines, new technology, new electrics, new systems, he really, really enjoyed his time and it was a great decade of invention and innovation. (as most on here will be aware we had the largest auto and aero industry in the world in the 50s)

That's something I'd adore doing one day, be part of renovation projects for the BBMF, Shuttleworth, etc... can't think of anythign better than mucking around on old engines and other mechanics all day, then one day in a few years, seeing the thing take flight, preseving our heritage for another generation. Apologies for the twee and sloppy tone, but it's true  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2016, 11:42:34 »

So.....from the stock GM parts bin.

3.2 inlet with injectors or fit 3.0 and the FPR from a 2.6/3.2 (slight increased rail pressure, worth having as it costs nothing)
3.2/3.0 inlet divider plate
2.5/2.6 heads which must be ported to match the inlet divider (2.5/2.6 heads have smaller ports than the 3.0/3.2) and 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves (sodium filled)
3.0 cams
3.2 bottom end
2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds
2.5/3.0 front pipes and cats
3.0 electronics including DIS pack ecu etc with EGR blanked/removed and SAI removed

This gives the better injection setup (3.0), largest cc (3.2 which includes forged crank) with compression ratio restored (2.5/2.6 heads have a smaller combustion chamber), best flowing inlet and exhaust setup.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 September 2016, 12:08:01 »

So.....from the stock GM parts bin.

3.2 inlet with injectors or fit 3.0 and the FPR from a 2.6/3.2 (slight increased rail pressure, worth having as it costs nothing)
3.2/3.0 inlet divider plate
2.5/2.6 heads which must be ported to match the inlet divider (2.5/2.6 heads have smaller ports than the 3.0/3.2) and 3.0/3.2 exhaust valves (sodium filled)
3.0 cams
3.2 bottom end
2.6/3.2 exhaust manifolds
2.5/3.0 front pipes and cats
3.0 electronics including DIS pack ecu etc with EGR blanked/removed and SAI removed

This gives the better injection setup (3.0), largest cc (3.2 which includes forged crank) with compression ratio restored (2.5/2.6 heads have a smaller combustion chamber), best flowing inlet and exhaust setup.

Looks like i'm just around the corner from your gaff (Keyworth)  from tomorrow after all  ::)
I'll drop you 50 quid off and i'll expect it ready by Monday night when I finish  :P ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 07 September 2016, 12:13:27 by tigers_gonads »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2016, 12:13:00 »

Also, I'm crying a bit Mr Gonads, as I'm on about that average mpg from my little economical 2.5 versus your beefy 3.2...in fact did a brim test to compare what the trip comp says vs. real, and found it basically spot on, so that's good.

It's a tantalising thought, a X27XE, as Nick quite rightly calls it  :y

Lpg is great if you can live without a little boot space and want to make a Omega usable for mere mortals wallets on a day to day basis  :y

At the end of the day, you can fantasise and spend thousands on this, that and the other and its still a 15 + year old Vauxhall saloon car which will rot away sooner than later  :(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2016, 13:06:33 »

This is it, do you treat your car as day-to-day transport, or a hobby, or even classic car? All have different criteria and budgets... and breaking points!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.