Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Embarrassed MOT Man  (Read 9036 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassed MOT Man
« Reply #60 on: 15 February 2017, 07:29:01 »

Lmao so it's easy to have a quick look under the car and judge the manufacture year of a track rod end or indeed whether it has excessive play? How much road grime should a track rod end have after 12 months?  ;D

Well, I can see all the parts I've replaced on my car in the last yr as distinct from the older (probably original) items. But thats totally missing the point. As I said it's not about proof, it's about reporting your suspicions. For Trading Standards/VOSA it's very very easy for them to prove in total.

Lets say the garage invoiced 200 customers for TREs last yr. then they have to be able to provide a Unipart/ECP/other motor factor account statement for those same 200 TREs. If not, then how did they fit them. Businesses are required by HMRC/companies house to keep records so they're in the shit if they can't prove it anyway.

My point still stands that if no-one reports their experiences, these things never get started.

so the garage must be using some kind of ERP system  ??? or is that too complex for a small business

But something must be inplace to enable  independant auditing of the books.

How are the jobs handed out in a garage workshop environment. Is it all controlled via operator login.

I walk in in the morning, say "I fancy that job" and pull it in  ;D in Bigger garages I know that the days jobs are put on to job cards and you get given your days work depending on your skill (i.e. Apprentice will be given all the tyres, the best mechanic the hardest jobs etc).

As for getting an invoice we send ours off  accountant with a completed invoice showing who did the job. Whenever we need a copy (for warranty claims usually) we get him to e mail a copy. Not sure how bigger garages store this info  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassed MOT Man
« Reply #61 on: 15 February 2017, 08:26:35 »

I would guess it varies wildly. I know kwik sh!t hold them online as I've got them to pull a duplicate for me based on invoice (that was tyres but I'd guess the rest of the business works the same). My local garage however, stores them by stuffing them In about a million box files in a back room.  ;D

If it were me running a small garage I'd keep duplicate receipts for proving my income, and then just get monthly/annual statements from my motorfactors to prove expenses. That along with monthly bills for utilities, rates, warranty subscription, payroll ought to be enough for a small outfit. Is basically what we keep for SWMBO's business.

Although she (sadly) doesn't own a garage!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.