Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trackers  (Read 4254 times)

aaronjb

Re: Trackers
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2017, 12:15:51 »

You knew what I meant  :P

Maybe.. ;D ;D ;D

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2017, 13:16:01 »

it will likely be in either bumper.  it needs a view of the sky to get satellite signals, unobstructed by steel.   could be under the dash near the windscreen or may be viewing the sky through rear windscreen.  also needs a power supply which will probably be from the car.  newer ones may have their own power supply or get signals bounced from the road perhaps.

I doubt it... They're not normally designed to be fitted externally. Most units are perfectly capable of "seeing" the satellites from under the dash.
i did say 'in' not 'on'.  in a bumper is not 'fitted externally' ::)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2017, 13:25:42 »

What other reason was it fitted for?

The answer is that it will be very easy to locate... But that's not information I would rush to disclose on an open forum ;)

The reason it was fitted was because after a rear end bump the tailgate failed to lock and you could get into the car and potentially steal it, so if it was stolen it could then be located.

Quite why they just didn`t get a second hand locking mechanism is beyond me  ::)

Anyway now they have split up he wants the tracker gone.

So they fitted a subscription service device instead of just a new lock? Sounds suspect to me ???

All trackers require at least 2, if not 3 or more extra wires ;)

just one wire and a ground connection which could easily be the screw holding it in place. :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2017, 13:37:16 »

What other reason was it fitted for?

The answer is that it will be very easy to locate... But that's not information I would rush to disclose on an open forum ;)

The reason it was fitted was because after a rear end bump the tailgate failed to lock and you could get into the car and potentially steal it, so if it was stolen it could then be located.

Quite why they just didn`t get a second hand locking mechanism is beyond me  ::)

Anyway now they have split up he wants the tracker gone.

So they fitted a subscription service device instead of just a new lock? Sounds suspect to me ???

just one wire and a ground connection which could easily be the screw holding it in place. :y

So 2 connections then? Most have a switched live too ;)

it will likely be in either bumper.  it needs a view of the sky to get satellite signals, unobstructed by steel.   could be under the dash near the windscreen or may be viewing the sky through rear windscreen.  also needs a power supply which will probably be from the car.  newer ones may have their own power supply or get signals bounced from the road perhaps.

I doubt it... They're not normally designed to be fitted externally. Most units are perfectly capable of "seeing" the satellites from under the dash.
i did say 'in' not 'on'.  in a bumper is not 'fitted externally' ::)
It's also not water tight ::)

But clearly you know better than me. I mean, what do I know... I only fitted them for a living ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2017, 14:16:00 »

Can't be told, won't be told ::)

My money is scotchlocked to the column wiring behind the cluster...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2017, 14:20:13 »

might depend on the model / design of the tracker fitted .. the one in the tin-tent has a + ive, - tive, a GPS feed and a "telephone" feed. the last two to a remote "aerial" assembly. Simple reason the tin tent is that .. METAL and the aerial assembly is designed to go "outside" the metal box where it gets a decent phone signal and GPS signal.

So, it is "possible" that the one fitted here is similar ?? control box internal with the gps/phone  "head" under a bumper ??

:)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2017, 16:01:51 »

might depend on the model / design of the tracker fitted .. the one in the tin-tent has a + ive, - tive, a GPS feed and a "telephone" feed. the last two to a remote "aerial" assembly. Simple reason the tin tent is that .. METAL and the aerial assembly is designed to go "outside" the metal box where it gets a decent phone signal and GPS signal.

So, it is "possible" that the one fitted here is similar ?? control box internal with the gps/phone  "head" under a bumper ??

:)

Yep. Most vehicle ones are a stand alone box, ranging from the size of a large box of matches to a small box of matches with 3 connections... Live, switched live and ground.

Some older ones have separate gps and/or gsm aerials as well.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2017, 16:05:44 by Lazydocker »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2017, 18:44:56 »

you're right as always ::). two wires.  one of which looks remarkably like a screw  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2017, 21:20:56 »

you're right as always ::). two wires.  one of which looks remarkably like a screw  ;D

I give in. Clearly your knowledge is far superior and you know that you don't mount the tracker unit to metal for danger of interference  ::)

I can't be bothered with arguing as there are far more important things.

To the OP... My experience of fitting trackers is clearly wrong. There are certain members on this forum who like to be argumentative and I have no intention of being drawn in :y
« Last Edit: 27 March 2017, 21:31:07 by Lazydocker »

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2017, 22:39:54 »

To the OP... My experience of fitting trackers is clearly wrong. There are certain members on this forum who like to be argumentative and I have no intention of being drawn in :y

No problem, your help is appreciated  :y

Whatever has been fitted wasn`t professionally done, judging by the clumsy work in the tailgate by the same guy  ;)

I`ll post up what, if anything I find at the weekend  :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2017, 22:48:50 »

Whatever has been fitted wasn`t professionally done, judging by the clumsy work in the tailgate by the same guy  ;)

In which case it is probably fitted with scotch locks with wiring likely sourced in the ignition switch area (as the easiest place to find the 2/3 connections needed)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2017, 22:56:01 »

In which case it is probably fitted with scotch locks with wiring likely sourced in the ignition switch area (as the easiest place to find the 2/3 connections needed)

Which would explain the loose top cover to the steering column  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.