Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A new point of thought. A guy thing.  (Read 2684 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: A new point of thought. A guy thing.
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2007, 12:00:10 »

I suppose my wife is reasonably into cars but not really interested in what's going on under the bonnet.

One day she decided she was coming with me to the local breakers yard.  :o

I resigned myself to the fact that it was going to quicly turn into a handbag shopping spree and that I'd have to rummage for the bits I needed some other time. Not so! I described what I needed (all sorts of bizarre bits. Fuel injectors, ignition modules, etc. etc.) and what cars she was likely to find them in and she put me to shame! She scoured the place in record time, clambering over all the wrecks. She found everything I needed and loved it. She even found a nice jack which the owner grudgingly sold to us, mumbling that he normally removes them from all the cars as they come in.

As to long distance relationships we did that for a while (Alton to Wellingborough - not exactly intergalactic). The problem is just seeing each other eats into all the time and money you once had available for hobbies like playing with cars. I stuck it for 9 months but at the end of the day you need to decide if you're happy to stay as you are, maybe losing the car, if one of you is prepared to relocate, or neither of the above.

(c) 2007 OmegaOwners Agony Aunts

;)

Kevin
Mrs TheBoy is quite good at finding bits in our local scrappy :).  As long as its dry and not too cold....
Grumpy old man

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2007, 13:21:07 »

At the mo. I work in Wales however my other half lives in Scotland,
where I come from.

Last week, my girlfriend forthrightly explained that she was unhappy
at money being thrown at the car and said I should ditch it.

I fixed the exhaust with dog food tins, gungum
and welding to cut down costs.

I used the usual explanatories.

1- "How can we move house with zero transport".
2-  I cant sell it as its still under HP... which it is
     and nobody would want to anyway given its issues.
3- Fill in the blanks,

Why do you not ask her to move down to wales with you? that would be the easiest in my opinion especially if you earn more than her then she should follow you.

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2007, 13:33:34 »

Could you not do some of your work from home and then on site?

You say that system annalists jobs are not up here in Scotland, when was the last time you looked? Were abouts in Scotland is she based?

Having spent a lot of years serving her majesty, not in prison, i know what it feels like. At least you can see your girl friend a lot of the time i was not even in the same continent.

You and her must talk it through as no one but yourselves can resolve this issue. :'(
 8-)
DaveL
« Last Edit: 19 March 2007, 18:33:54 by davel »

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2007, 16:20:34 »

My wife's originally from a little village just outside Aylesbury.

I originally tried to find a job down there as I thought my skills were transferrable and I worked for a firm based in Middlesex, but I couldn't find a job internally or externally that I could justify moving for. It also transpired that she fancied a change of career and as I had my own place and could support us both, it made sense that she moved to Scotland. Here we are six years later with child #2 imminent and she's never actually changed her career!! >:(  ;D

I now work on the deployment and support of CTI solutions for Siemnes Enterprise Communications and am based from home. I am expected to travel from time to time, but the time at home makes up for it.

I think the trick is to find a job with a national or multinational company that let's you work from home.

Many's the time we've thought about moving back to where she's from, but the air's cleaner up here and the houses are cheaper!! (Just!!)
If I have to explain you won't understand!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2007, 16:25:20 »

My wife's originally from a little village just outside Aylesbury.

I originally tried to find a job down there as I thought my skills were transferrable and I worked for a firm based in Middlesex, but I couldn't find a job internally or externally that I could justify moving for. It also transpired that she fancied a change of career and as I had my own place and could support us both, it made sense that she moved to Scotland. Here we are six years later with child #2 imminent and she's never actually changed her career!! >:(  ;D

I now work on the deployment and support of CTI solutions for Siemnes Enterprise Communications and am based from home. I am expected to travel from time to time, but the time at home makes up for it.

I think the trick is to find a job with a national or multinational company that let's you work from home.

Many's the time we've thought about moving back to where she's from, but the air's cleaner up here and the houses are cheaper!! (Just!!)
I lived for 28yrs in Aylesbury....
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2007, 17:03:31 »

Mrs TheBoy is quite good at finding bits in our local scrappy Smiley.  As long as its dry and not too cold....

Bizarre, isn't it? Emma likened the required skills to those of finding a bargain in a sale at TK Maxx. The services were limited to location of parts, sadly. Strictly no wielding of spanners, especially in the presence of oil, mud or the likelihood of spiders.  ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 March 2007, 18:27:33 »

At the mo. I work in Wales however my other half lives in Scotland,
where I come from.

Last week, my girlfriend forthrightly explained that she was unhappy
at money being thrown at the car and said I should ditch it.

I fixed the exhaust with dog food tins, gungum
and welding to cut down costs.

I used the usual explanatories.

1- "How can we move house with zero transport".
2-  I cant sell it as its still under HP... which it is
     and nobody would want to anyway given its issues.
3- Fill in the blanks,

Does your other half know you've got a girlfriend? ::)
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.