Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IAT question  (Read 606 times)

lou

• Romford
  • Always expect the unexpected
    • View Profile
IAT question
« on: 27 September 2009, 12:01:33 »

I have recently read a number of articles on the so called "Chip" mod which is basically a resistor to make the ECU think the air is colder. As the air flows in the IAT will measure the Temperature and adjust the fuel ratio accordingly. All this makes sense. So I investigated further by monitoring the variations in resistance from the IAT whilst driving and found immediately that the resistance drops off very quickly. Now this puzzles me a little bit as whilst driving the air going past the sensor should be colder which should make the ristance increase (Negative T coefficient). I can only conclude that the reason for the decrease in resistance and less fuel is due the fact that it becomes much hotter on the bonnet affecting the sensor. Surely it would be better if it was only affected by the air intake and not its surroundings. Any of your comments would be appreciated...

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
Re: IAT question
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2009, 12:19:59 »

imo lou i wouldnt touch one of those chips with a barge pole or one of the "chips" that plugs into the fuel pump.
If you have a 2.5 and want more power then have the 3.0 cams put in it apart from that if you want a faster car get one thats faster to begin with lol
anyway iat's on something like omegas going to make naff all difference because theres no turbo so no need to retard timing to reduce knocking when iats get hot
V8!!!!

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
Re: IAT question
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2009, 13:47:24 »

yes as jeremy clarkson once said if you want a fast car then start of with a fast car and start from there!

Omegas are not fast unless they have had an engine transplant! hence why i got shift of my'n and bought a bavarian bahnstormer! which i have found out now is very simple & easy to supercharge!

i wouldnt mind seeing an omega with either a GM 5.7 V8 or a C/Z20LET
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.