Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What a car  (Read 1987 times)

mantahatch

Re: What a car
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2010, 12:51:31 »

I had a 72 one in blue many years ago. It suffered the standard ford fault of breaking the plastic timing wheel. Why did they make those engines self destruct ? For those that don't no what I am on about, it is basically the same as cam belt breaking. these engines had a plastic timing wheel for hecks sake. Smooth idea ford.

A fibre timing wheel. The idea was it was quieter than two metal to metal gears ..... it worked, they were very quiet when they broke!  ;D
The were safe heads weren't they? So if it did strip its teeth, you just fitted another gear & you were away.

NO, as I found out to my cost. Maybe ok if broke at low speed, but mine went at 5000rpm on the motorway, it made a lovely noise. And it was game over for the engine. I found out afterwards that a steel wheel was available aftermarket, and eventually even from ford dealers.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2010, 12:52:34 by mantahatch »

sexydaz

« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2010, 19:56:08 »

my dads got one just sat in his garage..he uses it as a fileing cabinet,hes also got a mint mk2 ghia  and a knaffed mk2 ghia x which he uses only to pull his caravan back onto his drive,hes got a mk3 with the 2.9 and all the skirts on in was nice when he got it years ago but when yer look at it now its shite..no where near as good as the earlier ones..my favourite one was his r reg 3.0 auto silver with vinyl roof and a bit of chrome :-* :-*

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2010, 16:35:02 »

I had a lovelly slate grey with black vinyl roof 72 model 3.0 ghia my first taste of a big car. I swapped a knackered 1.7 marina for it. Id quite like SLT 482L back again!!

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2010, 12:04:23 »

Loverly looking mota!

Sweeny "Get your trousers on, you're nicked"
I hate seagulls.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.