Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix Or Repair Daily  (Read 1200 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Fix Or Repair Daily
« on: 06 September 2010, 17:37:05 »

Unfortunately my Ford lived up to this today.
It's a 2007 '07' Fiesta 1.25 with only 9k genuine miles. It was losing a hell of a lot of coolant, turned out to be two core plugs, they'd all but completely disintegrated. I was pretty suprised, considering it's only 3 years old and 9k miles. In the 9k it's already had one coolant flush and change 1yr 3 months ago. But even if it hadn't, I wouldn't have expected this to have happened. We've also got a 2005 '05' Focus 1.6 which has proved very reliable in the time we've had it, it just goes to show newish and low miles doesn't always mean no issues  :o

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Fix Or Repair Daily
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2010, 17:56:51 »

It's a 2007 '07' Fiesta 1.25 with only 9k genuine miles. It was losing a hell of a lot of coolant, turned out to be two core plugs, they'd all but completely disintegrated. I was pretty suprised, considering it's only 3 years old and 9k miles. In the 9k it's already had one coolant flush and change 1yr 3 months ago. But even if it hadn't, I wouldn't have expected this to have happened. We've also got a 2005 '05' Focus 1.6 which has proved very reliable in the time we've had it, it just goes to show newish and low miles doesn't always mean no issues  :o

I'd be very surprised as well losing any core plugs, let alone two! ::) ::)  The last time I had a problem with a core plug was on an engine that had done 250k and twenty years old, not one just at 9k and 3 years old! :o :o

The coolant mix must have been wrong?? :-/ :-/ :-/

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2010, 21:03:29 »

Indeed Lizzie, I have thought about taking it up with Ford, but I very much doubt they'd be interested.
The coolant mix could well have been wrong, it was carried out by the supplying main Ford dealer...so it is possible, but I would doubt they could get the coolant mix wrong, something that simple.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2010, 21:32:01 »

I wonder if they have used some metal coating or unusual metal, sounds like a galvanic corrosion issue if the antifreeze mix has been maintained correctly (still shouldn't of even if it hasn't been)

smithpa7

« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2010, 21:37:07 »

This part of the engine should not have deteriorated at such a pace. I would definitely chase it up with your local dealer and if you have no joy there I would write to Ford UK customer services. It has to be worth a try :o :o

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2010, 22:32:29 »

As a matter of interest how many core plugs are there on the V6 mogs and where abouts are they.?
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2010, 09:22:15 »

As a matter of interest how many core plugs are there on the V6 mogs and where abouts are they.?

To be honest I have never counted.

There are certainly 2 on the back of each head.

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2010, 11:44:26 »

JOSH.....I'm racking my brains over this, and will search t'internet in a mo, but pretty sure there was an issue raised on a Ford service bulletin over this happening......

Leave it a bit, and I'll search. IF I can find it, you can go straight back asap to Ford with the ammunition and get them to do it f.o.c!!

*EDIT*

Found it....several issues with poor earth grounding affecting electrolyte levels in the coolant rotting out core plugs!  Can't find actual FSB sheet, but Ford owners club have documented it on their forum.

Time for a visit to Mr dealer????
« Last Edit: 07 September 2010, 11:48:13 by Sixstring »
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2010, 12:28:19 »

Mike, that's excellent...thank you  :y
I shall now approach Ford with this info and see what they suggest. This Fiesta is not mine to keep, it's a stock vehicle. But, if I sell it and more core plugs fail, that's going to come back to me. So hopefully Ford will attempt to do something with the vehicle.
Once again Mike, excellent piece of info  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.