Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M3 Front wishbone bushes fitted with a hammer!  (Read 4406 times)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Re: M3 Front wishbone bushes fitted with a hammer!
« Reply #45 on: 03 December 2010, 22:43:42 »

are we sure the palstic bit should be there ?

feeutfo

« Reply #46 on: 03 December 2010, 23:01:08 »

I would be inclined to try them without the plastic bit.

Might just rescue the situation. :-X

Kevin
The shape of the  center sleave/spacer is directional afaict. It helps control the movement, gives the rubber a surface to push on and concentrates the rubber into a wedge to give further control by the look of things, as are webs in the rubber pointing one way from what I remember.

Easyest option would be to just fit Polly. But I really want to see how these perform at their best.

My only concern is that they are very solid with a lot more rubber. Might just pull themselves apart with too much suspension movement perhaps? Only time and correct fitment will tell, plus these have been in my garage for best part of two years, so may have degraded possibly?

New ones might last longer...? But you raise a good point, although I am quite sure the banging and harshness will disappear fitted correctly...well, sure as I can be of anything ATM. ::)   

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 December 2010, 23:10:26 »

My reasoning is that there's not much movement in that direction anyway due to the off-centre nature of the centre bolt - so the rubber will probably provide enough cushioning as it's quite thick that side, and there's likely not enough movement to allow it to tear itself apart without the plastic insert.

Granted it'd work better the right way round, but getting it out intact and reversing is a tall order, IMHO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #48 on: 03 December 2010, 23:10:44 »

are we sure the palstic bit should be there ?
"there" as in position? No, it's 180 degrees out, it should be on the other side.

Or "there" as in fitted at all? Well, yes if it was fitted to a BMW. Omega one is less substantial. Which should give better control, which I believe, is what I want?

feeutfo

« Reply #49 on: 03 December 2010, 23:26:07 »

My reasoning is that there's not much movement in that direction anyway due to the off-centre nature of the centre bolt - so the rubber will probably provide enough cushioning as it's quite thick that side, and there's likely not enough movement to allow it to tear itself apart without the plastic insert.

Granted it'd work better the right way round, but getting it out intact and reversing is a tall order, IMHO.

Kevin
See what you mean and agree, but also the web to spacer will be pulling the rubber away from the spacer flat surface, might separate under braking without the spacer perhaps?  :-/

Think I've worked that out right, shouldn't post on technical matters when tired, been a long week  :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 18 queries.