Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The best Omega I have owned  (Read 1568 times)

JonArgraig

• Omega Knight
  • Isle of Angelsey
  • The Camera Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: The best Omega I have owned
« on: 03 October 2008, 09:57:44 »

Having had 19 omegas over a couple of years, I recently bought the best Omega I have ever had. Here it is:

It is a 1996 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi Auto. Advantages? It starts, drives, goes forwards and backwards as well as through puddles. It doesn't need the camcover gaskets doing, nor the water pump. The gearbox is perfect as is the transfer box, diff lock etc.  It doesn't have problems with the MID, it doesn't have a cracking sound from the doors, it doesn't need teh breathers cleaned every other day and it uses less fuel ! It can also tow without a thought and finally, it has 7 seats.

Boy I miss my Omegas. ;)

Thats my last Disco...

and yeah I miss it's "go any where-ness" but I had a BMW 523 as a bit of posh at the time, The Omega win's that hands down

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2008, 14:44:44 »

Ahh, but you "chickened out" of getting the "exxon valdese" V8 model that JamesV6CDX had (briefly). Still, it was a handy car to have around when we had to drain an almost full Omega fuel tank and wondered what to do with the fuel. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2008, 14:48:05 »

parts quite cheap for a disco but as tough as they are supposed to be they need replacing more often

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2008, 16:26:26 »

What, more often than an Omega? i don't think so somehow! LOL.

One thing I learned about omegas is they are GREAT................. if you like working on cars. The disco is great if you like driving!

Not if you want to go fast ish... ie around the 60mph speed limit  ::)

You don't buy a disco for the refinement either, cause it does not have any.

Sorry, Discos are a bit nasty if you ask me, just ugly bricks with wheels.

All i have done to my Omega in the last 30k, is new brake discs, and exhaust, standard service items, oil change when it needs it, new stat (last one did 112 k)

Camsensor went...

Errr thats it! Never done the cam cover gasket since i got it, 3 years and just under 30k ago  ;)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2008, 16:27:36 by tunnie »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2008, 16:59:28 »

What, more often than an Omega? i don't think so somehow! LOL.

One thing I learned about omegas is they are GREAT................. if you like working on cars. The disco is great if you like driving!

Not if you want to go fast ish... ie around the 60mph speed limit  ::)

You don't buy a disco for the refinement either, cause it does not have any.

Sorry, Discos are a bit nasty if you ask me, just ugly bricks with wheels.

All i have done to my Omega in the last 30k, is new brake discs, and exhaust, standard service items, oil change when it needs it, new stat (last one did 112 k)

Camsensor went...

Errr thats it! Never done the cam cover gasket since i got it, 3 years and just under 30k ago  ;)

Indeed Tunnie, and they become very unstable at speed!! :o :o :o

HolyCount

« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2008, 18:12:20 »

Not if you are a very good driver, like me. :) If you want to go quick, buy a ferrari. I have more toys on my disco than I had on any Omega. Both have their places in society though. Discovery's with the gentry and those of us with a little sophistication. Omegas in the scrap yard.

Right.............. I am running away now as fast as I can! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah ... but ... REAL gentry drive funbuggies  ;)

chrisovkent

• Ramsgate Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2008, 18:17:15 »

i had a 300 tdi a couple of years ago,often used to burst along at 90 on the motorway to an from work and was surprisingly stable,combined with the driving position,ease of maintenance,cheap parts,reasonable economy and a good comfort level,i loved that car an only got rid of it cos a mig tourer came along at a good price.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2008, 19:27:26 »

The disco is great if you like driving!

Come on mate, you didnt expect to post something like that on an Omega forum and everyone to agree with you did you!!!??

Against an MV6?? I know which I am more than happy to own !!

Only problem i have EVER had on my Omegas was a headgasket going after 135000 miles, apart from that no problems at all in over 2 yrs of ownership.

I find Omegas comfortable, quiet, fast and surprisingly economical for their size, and I know which I would sooner be seen around town in too.

Will leave landies for farmers, gypsies and chelsea housewives!!
« Last Edit: 03 October 2008, 19:39:44 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2008, 21:32:33 »

Landies are designed for the rough stuff, and no doubt they are very good at that, some say the best in the world even, but like you say its horses for courses, so best of luck with the Landie mate with its rover 800 airvents and switchgear, and the reason you dont have MID problems on a lr is because they dont have em.......!!

::)
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.