Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto gearbox oil  (Read 1467 times)

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
Auto gearbox oil
« on: 08 September 2006, 17:49:34 »

I've been looking for a how on changing the auto gearbox on a v6 but without look. I'm not planning on changing it, just the oil. I want to get as much of the old stuff out as possible and I know there will be some in the oil cooler but I can blow that out.

The bell housing holds the torque converter I'd guess and there is a black plug at the bottom of it. Is the bell housing half full of oil so that if I poke a hole in the black plug it'll come out, obviously get a new plug first?

There are two large bolts going upwards from the bottom just in front of the bell housing. Any idea what these are for. They look a bit big so might be holding something serious and I didn't want to just take them out to see if the oil drains out of the holes they leave.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
Re: Auto gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2006, 18:12:56 »

I think the way to do it is remove the sump plug, then the sumps.

Mr McBurger is our resident g/box expert.  He may have a unique solution!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2006, 23:05:43 »

There is no easy way to do this. Basically, car on the level. remove the filler plug and drain off what you can. Then syphone more out using a syphone, a tube etc.

Try and get at least 3 litres out.  Next, drop the main sump, but be aware that it will be over 1/2 full of this crap. It stinks and will make you feel sick if you berath it for too long, Laidback and I found out the hard way!

The bellhousing has no oil in, just air. The torque convertor will have up to 2 litres in and you will not be able to get this out.

You will need about 5 litres of new ATF Dexron III and a garden npressure bottle, the type with a handle you pump up is best. refil the box (after changing the filter and cleaning the sumps) until it flows back out the sump plug. Then start the engine. Continue filling untilk the atf flows out again, then plug the sump and job is done.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2006, 23:58:23 »

Why not do it the easy way? undo the transmission oil cooler pipe and aim it into a large bucket or drum if necassary put a bit of garden hose on the pipe to extend it to a safe distance and then start engine, the torque coverter will pump out all the fluid ready for you to refill with fresh, but you must stop engine as soon as the flow drops off
Omegatoy

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2006, 08:39:38 »

Thanks Mr McBurger it was the bell housing I was wondering about. I couln't really see a large rubber bung being relied on to keep all of that oil in there :-)

Still puzzled as to how the torque converter gets it's oil supply though.

Omegatoy my engine is still in bits. I can't fit Mr McBurgers timing kit until I've got the cams back in and since I'm changing the lifters for the new style ones I can't fit the cams until AutoVaux get me the new 'T' vents so I thought I'd drain the autobox just for something to do :-)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2006, 14:46:10 »

How much are the cam lifters? A couple of mine are a little noisy.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2006, 16:59:58 »

How much are the cam lifters? A couple of mine are a little noisy.
They were £8 each from ebay - just do a search for vauxhall tappets.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2006, 10:54:47 »

Why not do it the easy way? undo the transmission oil cooler pipe and aim it into a large bucket or drum if necassary put a bit of garden hose on the pipe to extend it to a safe distance and then start engine, the torque coverter will pump out all the fluid ready for you to refill with fresh, but you must stop engine as soon as the flow drops off
Omegatoy
Does this work and without damaging anything as I want to change mine before the Santa Pod trip.
Retired
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.