Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0L camshaft wear  (Read 1074 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
3.0L camshaft wear
« on: 09 October 2006, 23:05:13 »

When we did my cam cover gaskets I noticed some unusual wear on the camshafts.  Nothing terminal, but a couple of flat spots - the same on every lobe.  One that I remember was on the edge, on the trailing side of the lobe.  Is this normal?  I read that the 3.0 cams are a good upgrade on the 2.5, but what should I do on the 3.0 if this gets worse?  I have actually lost a cam from wear on an engine before.  These aren't even close now, but once you get through the hardened surface they go quickly.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0L camshaft wear
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2006, 23:35:23 »

Was it actual wear or varnish build-up from oil? This is easily removed by cleaning with a pumice based cleaner such as Solvol or Belco rubbing compound.
Wear on cam lobes is usually due to poor lubrication, so check the T vents for gunge and check all the drillings are clear.
Wear on the trailing side of a cam lobe is a sign of high rpms or weak valve springs causing the cam to lose contact with the follower momentarily followed by an impact as the follower 'catches up' with the cam again.
I suppose similar wear could result from soggy hydraulic followers but my knowledge is of solid followers so I cant comment.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2006, 23:38:28 by Pete »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2006, 08:35:25 »

Was it actual wear or varnish build-up from oil? This is easily removed by cleaning with a pumice based cleaner such as Solvol or Belco rubbing compound.
Wear on cam lobes is usually due to poor lubrication, so check the T vents for gunge and check all the drillings are clear.
Wear on the trailing side of a cam lobe is a sign of high rpms or weak valve springs causing the cam to lose contact with the follower momentarily followed by an impact as the follower 'catches up' with the cam again.
I suppose similar wear could result from soggy hydraulic followers but my knowledge is of solid followers so I cant comment.
What was strange was that the wear was on the edge, and the same on every lobe.  I have another thought, was it machined that way in order to spin the followers?  If so, I've never seen anything that obvious.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2006, 15:46:55 »

btt.  No other ideas guys?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2006, 15:47:44 »

The lobes are profiled so as to rotate the follower so they have a slightly raised profile (not uncommon on cams)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.