Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PAS steering  (Read 1339 times)

stuart30

PAS steering
« on: 27 December 2006, 21:26:49 »

Ive just picked up my new (old) estate and was suprised how heavy the steering was..i just assumed it needed pas fluid topping up or similar,however checking back through the various reciepts in september this year a garage has advised the previous owner of possible PAS pump failure...silly question but whats the easiest way to check if its deffenately that and if so how much cost/work is involved checking it.

1997 2.5 Petrol if that makes any difference.

Its really the only major  thing that lets it down.... :-?
« Last Edit: 27 December 2006, 21:27:54 by stuart30 »

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
Re: PAS steering
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2006, 22:11:46 »

It has speed dependent power steering so check fuse 14 first.

stuart30

« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2006, 22:13:38 »

It has speed dependent power steering so check fuse 14 first.

Thanks for the quick reply....will do in the morning, :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2006, 22:13:42 »

what's the fluid level like?

stuart30

« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2006, 22:18:32 »

what's the fluid level like?

From what i could see tonight looked 3/4 full.......was dark and in a rush so will double check in morming

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2006, 22:19:34 »

If its low fluid ( not saying it is ) piece of cake !

Just top up, and wiggle steering from side to side ( lock to lock) as its self bleeding !

Unless of course I'M WRONG LLOLL :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2006, 11:15:48 »

is the steering only heavy at idle? If so, could be tired pump. If always heavy, check electricals as suggested.  And check ABS/TC lights not on and that speedo works, though I'm sure you would have said...

Also, there are 3 levels of adjustment of how much assistance you get on this system...
Grumpy old man

stuart30

« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2006, 18:40:22 »

is the steering only heavy at idle? If so, could be tired pump. If always heavy, check electricals as suggested.  And check ABS/TC lights not on and that speedo works, though I'm sure you would have said...

Also, there are 3 levels of adjustment of how much assistance you get on this system...

The steering is heavy both at idle...and when driven,not so much so you cant drive the car but certainly enough to make you really work at turning the steering wheel.

Speedo works fine and the TC light only comes on when button engaged....the computer has not come up with any messages or check either.

Could you explain a little about the adjustment...?

All of the above will be checked tomorrow....however after finding a receipt with PAS pump possible failed im bracing myself for a new one,does anyome know a price for these and the amount of work/cost of labour fitting.

And finally is it worth going second hand on the PAS pump if it is faulty from a car that's being broken or best to go new only.???

Thanks for all the help so far guys.....i need to look after this car. :)
« Last Edit: 28 December 2006, 18:41:02 by stuart30 »

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2006, 18:56:50 »

just to second the advice about checking the fuses.

recently someone held the cigarette lighter in for too long in my car which blew a fuse (the 30A green one that isn't the windows) and it partly took out the PAS.  took me a while to work out the two things are linked as it wasn't immediately obvious the steering had got a bit heavier. replaced the broken fuse, and the steering returned to normal.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2006, 19:12:25 »

Could you explain a little about the adjustment...?
The servotronic in V6s have 3 levels of assistance, adjustable electronically via Tech2.
Grumpy old man

stuart30

« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2006, 07:08:58 »

Well thanks guys for all your help....nearly wet myself i was so happy last night.

Checked fluid level in PAS and all ok.....thought id check the fuse,might as well but didnt expect it to work.

So im sure you can imagine my suprise when the Heated rear window/side mirrors light came on and the car now spins on a sixpence power steering spot on......over the moon,totaly transformed a car i really liked but found hard work to drive to a car im chuffed to bits with and maybe most importantly your advice has saved me  a shed load of cash as the auto electrian i use isnt very likely to say its just a fuse,considering ive a reciept (from previous owber) stating pas pump possibly failed. :o

Next estate is deffo going to be auto....these gear things are hard work.lol

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2006, 11:28:00 »

Well thanks guys for all your help....nearly wet myself i was so happy last night.

Checked fluid level in PAS and all ok.....thought id check the fuse,might as well but didnt expect it to work.

So im sure you can imagine my suprise when the Heated rear window/side mirrors light came on and the car now spins on a sixpence power steering spot on......over the moon,totaly transformed a car i really liked but found hard work to drive to a car im chuffed to bits with and maybe most importantly your advice has saved me  a shed load of cash as the auto electrian i use isnt very likely to say its just a fuse,considering ive a reciept (from previous owber) stating pas pump possibly failed. :o

Result  :)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

stuart30

« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2006, 15:58:50 »

Result  :)

Yeah well chuffed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2006, 16:20:42 »

Excellent - we like cheap, easy fixes :y
Grumpy old man

stuart30

« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2006, 07:18:35 »

Excellent - we like cheap, easy fixes :y

Well i can honestly say if it wasn't for the advice on this forum from the really helpful members then i would be looking at a bill from the auto electricians that i couldn't simply afford at the present time....so big thanks guys. :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.