Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone need new cats for a V6?  (Read 1408 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Does anyone need new cats for a V6?
« on: 14 January 2007, 13:06:11 »

Reason being, I'm looking to replace my aftermarket exhaust with a genuine VX item, and have been offered a complete system inc cats for a good price. My cats are fine, and the guy wants to sell the lot in one go, so I'm wondering if anyone needs cats so I could buy the whole lot and pass on the cats, thus getting me my genuine VX exhaust. He insists the cats are good, and apparently the exhaust system still has stickers on so is near new.

PM me if anyone's interested. :y

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone need new cats for a V6?
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2007, 11:25:30 »

I take it that's a no then, quite surprised cos I thought these were common failure points on this car :-/

Guess I'll be looking for a plan B then, wonder if I can convince the guy to sell just the zorst :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2007, 11:31:53 »

Dunno whats its worth to you, Paul, but it may be worth buying the lot and keeping the cats as spares to sell as and when you or A N Other needs them?

B

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2007, 11:51:35 »

Yeah that's one option, the only issue is postage cost unless I sell them locally. It just seems a bit silly to have to post such heavy items twice, I'm assuming that if someone wanted the cats the seller would be happy to post them directly, as he'll probably need to split the package anyway due to size and weight.

I may buy the lot anyway, as I really want an OE exhaust on the car to get rid of the noise my current system makes.

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2007, 17:31:33 »

Are you offering the cats for free? Are they the same for 2.5 and where in Scotland are you?

I know I need a back box so could do cats at the same time.

cheers  8-)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2007, 18:52:37 »

This'll be interesting. Two jocks haggling ;D ;D

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2007, 20:54:16 »

Thats how copper wire was invented. 2 Scots fighting over a penny  ;D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2007, 22:00:53 »

LOL.. well the plan was to buy the lot and sort out the cost between myself and whoever wants the cats ;) The price for the lot is a bit more than I'd be looking to pay for a used exhaust, but including the cats it's actually a really good price as a pair of good cats generally go for more than the exhaust does. I could just buy the lot and re-sell the cats to recoup some of the cost, but postage is rather expensive so having to factor in another postage cost would eat a good chunk of that.

If you're seriously after replacement cats (and are willing to pay lol) then let me know ASAP as I have to decide soon if I'm going to buy the lot. It'll almost certainly work out a fair bit cheaper than you'll pay at a scrappy for cats with no guarantee that they're actually working in my experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2007, 22:03:42 »

LOL.. well the plan was to buy the lot and sort out the cost between myself and whoever wants the cats ;) The price for the lot is a bit more than I'd be looking to pay for a used exhaust, but including the cats it's actually a really good price as a pair of good cats generally go for more than the exhaust does. I could just buy the lot and re-sell the cats to recoup some of the cost, but postage is rather expensive so having to factor in another postage cost would eat a good chunk of that.

If you're seriously after replacement cats (and are willing to pay lol) then let me know ASAP as I have to decide soon if I'm going to buy the lot. It'll almost certainly work out a fair bit cheaper than you'll pay at a scrappy for cats with no guarantee that they're actually working in my experience.
TC price for the exhaust parts new is around £70 - £80 + VAT per piece (obviously not CATs!!), if that makes it cheaper for you?
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2007, 22:34:48 »

Yeah I did consider buying from TC but it still works out at around £300. I wouldn't mind paying that if the old exhaust was knackered and I'd got good use of it, but it's still damn near new looking, just crap quality so drones at between 1.5-2.5k revs. I can sort of drive around it but it's a real pain in town, hence why if a cheap opportunity to replace with genuine parts comes up I'm going to take it.

Considering that this includes the cats, if I resell those even at a cheap price it will work out significantly cheaper than buying from TC.

Interestingly enough I was offered a full cat-back Remus stainless sytem for £150, very good price as it'll outlive the car but without hearing it I was too afraid it would be too noisy for my liking.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2007, 15:40:44 »

Just bought a pair off fleabay mate or I'd have snatched your hand off.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2007, 15:58:17 »

D'oh! Out of interest how much did you pay? I'm gonna call this guy pretty soon and see how much he'll take off for just the zorsts, then decide from there whether I'm better just buying the lot and reselling the cats.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2007, 16:07:44 »

£57 and £20 p&p
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2007, 16:16:37 »

Not too bad actually if they were tested working. I'm sure it'd have been cheaper if we'd both gone in with this exhaust system but with the postage costing so much there's not a huge saving to be made. So you didn't lose out too badly :)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2007, 16:26:50 »

I've just spoken to the guy and he's gonna get me a price on postage minus the cats, we'll see what he'll knock off the price. Should take a fair chunk off the postage cost for starters.

So I guess my offer is now retracted, I'm just gonna buy the zorst on its own if all goes to plan ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.