Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My ticking noise  (Read 679 times)

Taxi_Driver

My ticking noise
« on: 21 April 2007, 23:06:24 »

Well i only got round to phoning Omegatoys m8 this morning  :-[

He came round this afternoon to look at my exhaust manifold......very nice guy....and very helpful on advice  :y Thanks Omegatoy  :y

Its not only 2 snapped studs but a small crack in it as well  :(

One stud had gone walkies.....but the other was still there and Omegatoys m8's comment was this stud hasnt just snapped recently.....its been snapped for quite a while....and its looks wet on the end like glue  :o

After i told him the history of vx dealer snapping at least one stud off.....and vx dealer telling me they got someone in to drill and tap the threads.....his comment was theres not enough room to do that.

So anyway.....i carnt prove the local dealer super glued the snapped studs back in and hoped for the best..... >:(

So we left it that hes going to fit me in when he's got a moment spare.....to just change the exhaust manifold gasket....as he thinks just this has failed at the point of the 2 snapped studs.....but did warn me that if another stud snaps when hes takes off the manifold.....then theres no choice but to take off the head and to get the holes drilled and retaped.....no chance off stud extractors working as he measured the distance of the missing bolts and they have snapped inside the head  :(

Now heres a question that Omegatoys m8 raised and ive been thinking about it and carnt fathom it either.....how the hell do you snap off studs inside the head??
Studs are iron....and head is aluminum....normally he reckoned you would see stripped threads on the head...to me obvious as iron is stronger than alloy.... :-/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: My ticking noise
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2007, 23:14:29 »

Generally, Iron is stronger than alloy but, sadly, it is much more brittle.  If theres a point somehwre that the stresses and strains are more concentrated than another then it is here that it is liablke to snap - likewise, wherever there is a weak spot......

Not unusual for an iron stud to snap recessed into an alloy head, imhe....

B

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2007, 23:19:52 »

Don't know whether to be happy or sad TD. On the one hand you now know the extent of the problem, and have made what sounds like a good acquaintance with a friendly guy who is willing to help you out. On the other hand you have a problem with your motor that could get messy.
It's a tough call but it'll all sort itself out in the end, one way or another  :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2007, 14:00:34 »

Hope it all goes well TD :y
I like red cars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.