Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: computers II  (Read 1497 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
computers II
« on: 21 September 2007, 12:47:15 »

Due to the great success of the answers to my lst PC question, can I ask another? Pretty please!

I have a HP scanner 4400c and although not at the cutting edge of technology it works, or at least it did using XP  :(. I looked on HP's site for a Vista driver download, but they want me to throw it away & buy a new one that will work with Vista! >:( The HP printer that I also have is masquerading as another model & is working (to a degree)
I've looked on line but can't find a solution for my scanner.  :'(
Any ideas please

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Re: computers II
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2007, 12:53:30 »

If the XP driver doesn't work (which it probably won't) and they're adamant they won't release a Vista driver, then you're only hope is Microsoft releasing one (unlikely for an old model) or finding a compatible one.

Unfortunately you may well have to just bin it and buy a newer model, or go back to XP. I had a similar problem with my sound card back when XP first came out -- the Windows 2000 driver sort of worked, but the audio would skip now and again. It was a good semi-pro Turtle Beach card that otherwise worked fine, but as it was too old for the manufacturer to bother with eventually I had to accept defeat and buy a new one after spending ages trying loads of different driver settings, Windows configuration options etc.

Just be glad you don't have a Mac ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2007, 12:59:41 »

If the XP driver doesn't work (which it probably won't) and they're adamant they won't release a Vista driver, then you're only hope is Microsoft releasing one (unlikely for an old model) or finding a compatible one.

Unfortunately you may well have to just bin it and buy a newer model, or go back to XP. I had a similar problem with my sound card back when XP first came out -- the Windows 2000 driver sort of worked, but the audio would skip now and again. It was a good semi-pro Turtle Beach card that otherwise worked fine, but as it was too old for the manufacturer to bother with eventually I had to accept defeat and buy a new one after spending ages trying loads of different driver settings, Windows configuration options etc.

Just be glad you don't have a Mac ;)

I'd just assumed the XP driver wouldn't work & have not tried it. :-? I don't expect a load of fancy options - just a scanner that will scan a page/etc

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2007, 13:18:36 »

No expert on Vista .. won't touch it with the proverbial ....  but I'm guessing it still has "compatability mode" like XP does ??

Have you tried that ?? If you can't find it try searching "help" for "compatability mode" .. in XP it explains what it is and links to the sub-program

HTH

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2007, 13:27:59 »

vista is good ,i like windows xp too,but it looks like microsoft is having the compatabity issue they had with xp,the thing with microsoft they will get all bugs sorted in a couple of years and then hey presto there will be another operating system,don't you just love bill gates ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 21 September 2007, 13:28:52 by geoff »

matt

• Blackpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2007, 14:03:31 »

Drivers can't work in compatibility modes...

If you cannot find a driver - and it might be worth scanning some of the driver sites out there on the net, try simply plugging it in - if there are microsoft compatibility drivers they'll already be on you machine.  It should set up the drivers if they are available.  If it asks for disks etc, then you're out of luck.

So it's new scanner, or go back to XP.

macca

• Intermediate Member
  • bexhill-on-sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2007, 14:27:38 »

I'm very new to Vista, but It should have a Program Compatibility Wizard, as XP does. I know i'ts a  hardware issue you have but It might well be worth trying out. After all doesn't hardware need a program to operate it? :-/
To start the Program Compatibility Wizard click the "Start" button, then "Control Panel", then "Programs", and then click "Use an older program with this version of Windows".

Try here for more help  :)
http://www.realtime-vista.com/administration/2007/04/vista_program_compatibility_as.htm

HTH  :y

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2007, 14:45:40 »

I'm very new to Vista, but It should have a Program Compatibility Wizard, as XP does. I know i'ts a  hardware issue you have but It might well be worth trying out. After all doesn't hardware need a program to operate it? :-/
To start the Program Compatibility Wizard click the "Start" button, then "Control Panel", then "Programs", and then click "Use an older program with this version of Windows".

Try here for more help  :)
http://www.realtime-vista.com/administration/2007/04/vista_program_compatibility_as.htm

HTH  :y

As mentioned, compatibility fixes won't work for hardware drivers, which directly interface to the kernel and are therefore most likely to break when a new version is released.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2007, 15:28:22 »

Another solution is writing the driver for vista but being not practical in this case :(

I searched net for HP 4400 for twain compatibility..Unfortunately its not..

For twain compatible scanners there are many source codes to use..
« Last Edit: 21 September 2007, 15:51:59 by cem_devecioglu »

alan2450

• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2007, 16:45:56 »

You are not alone, I have been pestered with requests to fix issues after users have upgraded to Vista, printer will not work, scanner will not work, web cam will not work, CD burner will not work, 3rd party software will not work etc etc

All the answers have already been given but in summary:

Go back to XP (90% of users do just that)
New hardware (Just because its new does not guarantee it will work - Check compatibility)
Try 3rd party drivers (trial and error)

Me, I have 2 machine's, one multiboot, win98/2000/xp/NT4 and one vista, the Vista machine is never used.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2007, 18:18:45 »

Me, I have 2 machine's, one multiboot, win98/2000/xp/NT4 and one vista, the Vista machine is never used.

In the end I set up the old machine with the scanner again, scanned, copied to a SD card via a camera, took the SD card to the new PC complete with pictures and emailed them ..... phew! talk about long winded!

Thanks to all for their input.

Looks like its a new scanner or keep the 2 PCs running but make them talk to each other.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2007, 20:58:26 »

HP will not release a Vista driver for such an old scanner.  XP drivers won't work.  Either revert back to XP, or get a new scanner that is Vista compliant.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2007, 21:31:26 »

HP will not release a Vista driver for such an old scanner.  XP drivers won't work.  Either revert back to XP, or get a new scanner that is Vista compliant.

Entry-level scanners are quite cheap these days...

e.g http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31762
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.