Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing 2.6l estate  (Read 1362 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Purchasing 2.6l estate
« on: 16 October 2007, 14:02:10 »

Firstly, thanks for all the welcome messages. much appreciated.
I'm thinking of buying a 2.6l, 2001 estate with a towbar, (I tow a caravan a few times a year), and would appreciate comments about advisability. I'm not over concerned about fuel costs as I drive economically most of the time but am wondering how DIY maintenance and servicing compare to other engines, both from cost and difficulty points of view. A very useful post in 2006 on the subject of engines doesn't mention the 2.6, and I wonder whether there is a special (or sinister) reason for this.
I am a user of Haynes manuals for all their shortcomings but can't find one to cover the 2.6 specifically. Does anyone know of a competent publication covering it, please?
Many thanks,
Bill.

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
Re: Purchasing 2.6l estate
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2007, 14:13:16 »

Hiya Bill,

you maybe a bit concerned about the fuel economy when pulling a van - will plummit. Without about 27mpg

Haynes - or the book of lies as we call it  doesn't exist - however that's a bonus as you have us!!! and this lot of maint guides  

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?board=omegaguides

have a look around the forum - lots of info to put your mind at rest.

hth

Lee :y

Edit: make sure when you buy (when not if!!!!) that the cambelt and tensioners (maybe waterpump) have been done before you commit to buy.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2007, 14:14:55 by Tafty »

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2007, 14:33:04 »

Thanks, Tafty, for your comments. It helps that you haven't condemned the idea out of hand!
I'm used to using a tankful of juice in no time at all when towing, but accept it as part of the holiday. I also propose to do a full DIY service, and full cambelt kit change, and water pump, as a belt and braces precaution if I go ahead.
I'm sure the link you gave me will be very useful.
Thanks again.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2007, 14:35:36 »

As a pointer, the 2.5 an 2.6 engine are pretty much the same animal, the 2.6 has a later version of engine management and lower compression ratio but, thats about it.....the block and heads etc are all the same (lsightly different bore and stroke)

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2007, 14:40:52 »

The guides, faq's and posted questions - will get you through - depends on your location as to how close you are to other members who may be able to pitch in if you're in dire straights.  Don't worry about posting what you may think is a nonsense question - we've all done it - we all help each other out - and in no time at all you'll be posting your own advice to other members. The admin are spot on - Hotel21, Marks DTM, Auto Addict, and last but not least TheBoy are incredibly helpful.

Enjoy the forum - much better when you have the car though :y  Be mindful about the year for cambelts - the later models had a design change and the procedure is different to the DVD that is available on here from Robin Hood.

Lee

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2007, 14:44:26 »

It's a very good idea to do the belt and tensioners as soon as you get the car. You know where you stand then. If you're going to do that anyway, it's less important that the seller has had it done recently, but of course it's a good bargaining point.

The 2.6 is no better or worse than the rest of the V6 models so what you read about them applies to all cars, really. The 2.6 and 3.2 are later engines that have a few differences from the previous 2.5 / 3.0 engines. They have a drive by wire throttle, so no throttle cable, the secondary air injection and exhaust gas recirculation systems are gone, they have a coil-per-plug ignition system instead of plug leads and a coil pack. There are pro's and con's to all of this and the net result is probably about neutral.

As someone who came to Omegas only about 9 months ago but having previously maintained my own cars. I'd say the Omega isn't a bad car to work on at all. The routine maintenance tasks are all very straightforward. Don't be put off by the lack of a Haynes manual. This place is much better. There are one or two relatively minor faults (you'll have seen them mentioned here ::)) that occur frequently but other than that, keep up regular oil and coolant changes, keep on top of the cam belt and tensioners and you can't go wrong.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2007, 14:50:24 »

Thanks Lee; the Sword of Damacles is no longer hanging over my head.
I've only been posting since yesterday and already the help given has been fantastic.
Thanks all!
Bill

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2007, 15:47:25 »

Bill,

Noone has said it but I do think its worth getting a Haynes manual.  The blue one (94-99?) will cover 95% of your car.  Its basically the drive by wire system and the interior which is different.

I've got a 2.5 estate which I'm very happy with. averages about 32mpg for normal mixed driving.   I'm sure the 2.6 is pretty similar.   You pay a bit more for the estate, but they are MUCH more sellable when you get to that point.

Cheers
Ian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2007, 17:28:40 »

The standard Haynes will cover the basic mechanicals, obviously the facelift has different interior, but the basics are still the same.

2.6 is pretty similar to 2.5 from maintenence point of view.  It doesn't have EGR or Air Injection, so easier to work on from that point of view.

It also uses Coil Per Plug (CPP) modules - the coil sits on top of each plug - so no HT leads or DIS pack.  The jury is still out on if that is more reliable.

It also uses Drive By Wire (DBW), so no throttle cable.
Grumpy old man

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2007, 10:18:03 »

Well I've gone and done it! Purchased a 2.6l CDX estate and I'd like to thank everybody for your interest and advice.
I think I may have secured a rare exeptional bargain, and am going to post a fuller story in 'General Chat' as soon as I can, in the hope that it will be of interest, and perhaps of help, to others hesitating about acquiring an Omega.
Thanks again! I'm over the moon.
Bill.

Nickbat

« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2007, 10:23:40 »

Well done, Bill.  :y

Look forward to hearing more about it.

Nick (fellow 2.6 owner)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2007, 14:25:08 »

Glad you've sourced what sounds like a bargain :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.