Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to...(2.5td thermostat replacement)  (Read 673 times)

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
How to...(2.5td thermostat replacement)
« on: 22 December 2007, 15:05:57 »

Anyone know how to change the thermostat on a '00 2.5td.

I know the black plastic "Turbo Diesel" gubbins need to come off and also the silver metal pipe running to the Plennum chamber.

Anything else to be aware of or does anyone know of a "How to" already on here.  
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How to...(2.5td thermostat replacement)
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2007, 18:31:26 »

Anyone know how to change the thermostat on a '00 2.5td.

I know the black plastic "Turbo Diesel" gubbins need to come off and also the silver metal pipe running to the Plennum chamber.

Anything else to be aware of or does anyone know of a "How to" already on here.  
Turbo diesel plastic off, viscous fan off, viscous shroud off, drain coolant, undo hose, remove the 3 bolts that hold stat housing in place.
Grumpy old man

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2007, 20:00:17 »

And remember that the Viscous Fan is a Left-Handed Thread!!
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2007, 20:02:41 »

And remember that the Viscous Fan is a Left-Handed Thread!!
And is usually a bugger to undo, stupid bloody german thing.

My viscous lives in the garage, as I got cheesed off with the stupid thing, and the stupid 'designer' who thought viscous fans were a good idea on modern car engines.

I should add, without the viscous fan fitted, I have no cooling issues at all.  But then I probably have the best cooling system fitted to any tractor...
Grumpy old man

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2007, 12:44:02 »

What about the silver metal pipe that runs(looking from front of car) from the mid left side of the engine to the Plennum and connects at both ends with a diamond(ish) shaped flange secured by two bolts.
This runs directly in front of the black plastic thermostat housing and "appears" to obstruct access to the thermostat.

There is also a black metal pipe that runs along the upper left side with pipes branching off and runs across the front. A mechanic at my mates MOT station/workshop had a quick look and reckons both these pipes need to come off to allow access.
The silver pipe is easy enough, but that black metal pipe(about 15mm diameter) is a much more involved to remove.

Just in case I have an oddball, If it helps identify my motor, I had problems getting a A/C belt. Halfrauds listed a 4PK775, but that was way too short.  Turns out mine is a 4PK813. This size is not listed anywhere I looked.

Sorry for going on a bit, but I have a habit of starting a job and removing 99 parts, when going in from a different angle would have involved removing hardly anything.  
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2007, 21:26:38 »

What about the silver metal pipe that runs(looking from front of car) from the mid left side of the engine to the Plennum and connects at both ends with a diamond(ish) shaped flange secured by two bolts.
This runs directly in front of the black plastic thermostat housing and "appears" to obstruct access to the thermostat.

There is also a black metal pipe that runs along the upper left side with pipes branching off and runs across the front. A mechanic at my mates MOT station/workshop had a quick look and reckons both these pipes need to come off to allow access.
The silver pipe is easy enough, but that black metal pipe(about 15mm diameter) is a much more involved to remove.

Just in case I have an oddball, If it helps identify my motor, I had problems getting a A/C belt. Halfrauds listed a 4PK775, but that was way too short.  Turns out mine is a 4PK813. This size is not listed anywhere I looked.

Sorry for going on a bit, but I have a habit of starting a job and removing 99 parts, when going in from a different angle would have involved removing hardly anything.  
I did not remove my egr pipe (silver) or coolant transfer (black), and I've done mine a few times
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2007, 21:45:51 »

it is easier to remove the egr pipe or at least loosen it so it can be moved but as the boy says its an easy job to do
Omegatoy

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2007, 09:33:04 »

So that's what they're called.

Cheers mee deers !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.