Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater Matrix Fault?  (Read 871 times)

hdj

• Northwest UK
    • View Profile
Heater Matrix Fault?
« on: 22 March 2008, 13:34:13 »

On my 2.5 V6, the Vacuum is disconnected to the heater bypass valve.

I presume this allows water flow through the heater at all times?

It's always hot anyway.

Problem today is the Heater Matrix looks like it's leaking as it's loosing water and it's coming out of the drain tube underneath which I am 90% certain is a drain for the Matrix.

No time to fix it properly right now as about to go away on holiday, so.. can I simply By-Pass the Matrix until I get a new one fitted?

Can I supply a permenant vacuum to the valve to force it's position maybe through a non-return valve so once vacuum is achieved it holds it?

Or maybe remove the 3-way valve and plug one pipe and connect the other two, effectively bypassing the heater matrix?

Only other thing I can think if is to remove the matrix for now and try to bodge a seal on it, by filling it with stop leak (Off the Car) and allowing it to cure by gravity through the leak.

Any ideas chaps?

P.S, How much are Heater Matrix's anyway?

Thanks,

Phil

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Matrix Fault?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2008, 13:45:30 »

On my 2.5 V6, the Vacuum is disconnected to the heater bypass valve.

I presume this allows water flow through the heater at all times?

It's always hot anyway.

Problem today is the Heater Matrix looks like it's leaking as it's loosing water and it's coming out of the drain tube underneath which I am 90% certain is a drain for the Matrix.

No time to fix it properly right now as about to go away on holiday, so.. can I simply By-Pass the Matrix until I get a new one fitted?

Can I supply a permenant vacuum to the valve to force it's position maybe through a non-return valve so once vacuum is achieved it holds it?

Or maybe remove the 3-way valve and plug one pipe and connect the other two, effectively bypassing the heater matrix?

Only other thing I can think if is to remove the matrix for now and try to bodge a seal on it, by filling it with stop leak (Off the Car) and allowing it to cure by gravity through the leak.

Any ideas chaps?

P.S, How much are Heater Matrix's anyway?
Those pipes are the aircon condensate drains.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2008, 13:58:52 »

Lol, they are aircon condensate drains......so there should be water coming out if the aircon is on.

hdj

• Northwest UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2008, 13:59:15 »

This drain pipe exits the car directly under the central tunnel below the matrix, and is approx 6 - 8 inches in length.

It literally pours out like a slow running tap when the engine is running.

Stops when it has been turned off but runs again when the exp bottle cap is removed, so is definately coolant and not evaporation.

Apparantly many car makes have a drain tube from below the matrix in case of leaks etc.

Also when hot and the heater is on you can taste the coolant in the air.

Obviously getting info on this specific area of the car is difficult, Haynes is of no real help as per usual.

Thanks,

Phil

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2008, 14:00:02 »

Question, is the windscreen smeary......

hdj

• Northwest UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2008, 14:05:31 »

Unsure, it's a buggar when it's misted over as it's full of grease anyway, just needs a damn good clean.

In addittion to the leak, the water bottle empties out too if it's left leaking when idling.

The leaking water is also full of crud (brownish), the tube it pours from exits directly under the passenger side front well floor, between the chassis and pass side exhaust down pipe.

I'm sure the Aircon pipes are furtuer forward and to one side than this.

Also the aircon never gets used. no need in this weather :)

Thanks,

Phil

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2008, 14:11:05 »

Unsure, it's a buggar when it's misted over as it's full of grease anyway, just needs a damn good clean.

In addittion to the leak, the water bottle empties out too if it's left leaking when idling.

The leaking water is also full of crud (brownish), the tube it pours from exits directly under the passenger side front well floor, between the chassis and pass side exhaust down pipe.

I'm sure the Aircon pipes are furtuer forward and to one side than this.

Also the aircon never gets used. no need in this weather :)

Its the definative test really, the anti freeze evaprotates in the coolant and makes the screen smeary as it blows over it.

hdj

• Northwest UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2008, 14:25:19 »

Screen is always a bit smeary, but then this sweet smell has been around for a while too as I suspected the heater matrix was possibly seeping.

I guess now the seep is a gushing leak.

My primary search for info was what is the best way to isolate the matrix?

Simply disconnect at the bulk head and join the two pipes together, as this would not impede any water flow around the rest of the system?

I gather the 3-way valve is of no use really in this fault as bypassing the heater still leaves it connected at the other side so would still leak?

I love how Haynes states remove the side panel to gain access. LOL well ok then.

Looks like the radio console etc all need shifting out.

I'm 99.999% sure it's the matrix leaking, if it were the pipes entering the matrix then it would leak into the drivers floor well which it doesn't, yet!
 :-X

« Last Edit: 22 March 2008, 14:25:56 by hdj »

Thanks,

Phil

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2008, 15:31:16 »

If you pop the plenum and inlet manifold out you will see the coolant bridge at the rear, off this there is  pipe that connects to the heater bypass valve.

Remove this pipe where it connects to the valve and connect it to the main coolant pipe that exits the back of the block and round the drivers side head. there is a small branch at the back of the block, connect it to this.

You will then have removed the heater matrix and bypass valve from the circuit.  

hdj

• Northwest UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2008, 15:57:25 »

Thanks for that Mark.

I've just got back inside having modded the system and tested it fully.

I simply took both pipes off the Heater inlets on the bulkhead and joined them together, so the pump and valve are still in circuit at this time. Effectively I've simply bypassed the matrix for now.

I used some pipe I had that magically was the exact diameter to fit the quick release fittings and sealed perfectly on the o-rings inside I also cut the pipe longer so I could add some clips around the pipes behind the quick release fittings just as a precaution.

Works perfectly :)

and NO LEAKS!!!!  woo-hoo!

In respect of your advice Mark, I already knew of those two pipes you mentioned and would have done that at first but the thought of removing all the plenum and associated parts was a bit of a put-off, having had all that off 4 times already in the past few weeks through replacing cover gaskets etc..

So all that's wrong with the car now is a blowing middle box on one side and the Matrix.

Life goes on.

Thanks for all your advice and help on this matter.

Thanks,

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.